It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:36 am 

OK, I can see you are struggling.

Step 1: Getting cables.

I'm 99% sure you'll need a *Twin 1/4" jack to Single Stereo Minijack* cable. Simply go to your local audio shop (anywhere they sell stereos/music equipment) and tell them what you need. If they don't have 'em they get 'em for you.

Step 2: Hooking it all up.

Plug the 1/4" jacks into the Stereo Outs on the 606. Plug the Minijack into the line-in on your comp. If your comp has no line-in, the microphone input will do in a pinch.

Make sure the input is not muted on the computer (control panel on PC).

Step 3: Recording.

Make sure everything is plugged in. Load Audacity. Hit record (the red circle button). Hit play on the 606. Hit stop on the 606 when finished. Hit stop in Audacity. Trim the sample in Audacity. Save as a Wav.

It's as easy as that.

As for loading samples into the 606, the manual actually explains how to do it really well (one of the few things the manual does explain well!).

When it comes to using the manual to learn something, make sure you actually DO the step it tells you to do. Have the manual beside the 606 and follow each step fully before going on to the next one. In this way you will successfully learn each step by DOING it instead of just reading about it 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:18 am 

606man wrote:
OK, I can see you are struggling.

Step 1: Getting cables.

I'm 99% sure you'll need a *Twin 1/4" jack to Single Stereo Minijack* cable. Simply go to your local audio shop (anywhere they sell stereos/music equipment) and tell them what you need. If they don't have 'em they get 'em for you.

Step 2: Hooking it all up.

Plug the 1/4" jacks into the Stereo Outs on the 606. Plug the Minijack into the line-in on your comp. If your comp has no line-in, the microphone input will do in a pinch.

Make sure the input is not muted on the computer (control panel on PC).

Step 3: Recording.

Make sure everything is plugged in. Load Audacity. Hit record (the red circle button). Hit play on the 606. Hit stop on the 606 when finished. Hit stop in Audacity. Trim the sample in Audacity. Save as a Wav.

It's as easy as that.

As for loading samples into the 606, the manual actually explains how to do it really well (one of the few things the manual does explain well!).

When it comes to using the manual to learn something, make sure you actually DO the step it tells you to do. Have the manual beside the 606 and follow each step fully before going on to the next one. In this way you will successfully learn each step by DOING it instead of just reading about it 8)

Ok, I really appreciate the reply.

So if I go to radioshack, Just ask this exactly, "Can I get a Twin 1/4 inch jack to a Single Stereo Minijack cable" ?

Maybe Ill just print the whole manual out or something. I just cant find it on there about the putting the beats on.
I did read about sampling. But I have a few drums and stuff on my computer that i would like to put on there. Is it sampling that puts the stuff on the pads? They talked about the CD player sampling.. Ill have to read more.

Again I really appreciate it 606man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:21 am 

Having a hard copy of the manual is vital imo. Print it and start at page one. Do everything in the manual twice over. I'm not saying this to be derisive: It's something I truly believe needs to be done with any new piece of equipment and it's something I do myself :D

To get a .wav file from your computer you need to use the Card Util function to Import a sample. You will need to get a Compact Flash card for this (I think, you may be able to do it without one, but I doubt it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:02 am 

LilWayne wrote:

Ok, I really appreciate the reply.

So if I go to radioshack, Just ask this exactly, "Can I get a Twin 1/4 inch jack to a Single Stereo Minijack cable" ?

1. What about that question?

2. So your saying if I dont have this:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-60 ... _06L_L.jpg

The little red thing, I cant import .wav's from my computer to my 606?

I was looking at it.. where do I insert that card in my computer? It doesnt fit the floppy.

3. Can I buy those little red cards seperate?
*EDIT* I actually found a card thing I can buy: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ComFlash512

But I still need to know the other 2 questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:47 am 

LilWayne wrote:
LilWayne wrote:

where do I insert that card in my computer? It doesnt fit the floppy.

get a usb card reader
http://www.mittoni.com.au/usb-20-compac ... 60e79e464a
you can get one which read every sort of memory card. i bought one for under AU$20

yes, tell Radioshack exactly that question. they'll sort you out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:38 pm 

Hey guys I really appreciate all the help. I went to radioshack today and it all worked out. Had a little trouble at radioshack.. but all I had to do was buy 3 parts. Was around US $14.00.

I do have a few more questions lol.

1. Is there any other way to put music on my drum pads on the 606 or is the compactflash card/drive the best way?

I dont have either of those and its going to cost around US $100 to get both. Maybe like $70.

2. Im using headphones right now... what do I need to buy to put through a speaker?
2a. Can I use my AMP as a speaker? if so, What do I need to buy for that.

Sorry Im asking so many questions. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:33 pm 

LilWayne go to Walmart and they have the compactFlash cards on sell !! And you can probably get 2 cards for 70.00 . But maks sure that are compactalbe with the 606 . I don't think that the 606 can use 1Gig so you might want to try 512 but dont quote me on this one thro . And for as the assigning the maps use the p-606 software to help you do it . Use the ext seq function . Whats wrong with the headset ?? thats what i use :) and have been since day1 . Rember the groove that moves U !!!
tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:00 am 

Lil Wayne:

Sorry, to answer your question, yes if you ask exactly that at radioshack (or even better, a musical equipment store) they should be able to help you.

As for the Card Reader: NOT NECESSARY!!!! so long as you've got the card in the 606 it'll work fine. Do be careful about which cards you buy though: not all are compatible! Check the manual for compatible cards.

If you are having trouble locating one, Roland will send one from Japan for you if you ask them nicely... (cost about $50).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:04 am 

As for the speakers, you need to check the connections on your AMP; they are probably RCA, but do check.

Then You'll need a couple of "1/4" jack to RCA" leads. Yes, more leads - the more you get into hardware the more leads you get buried under (one of the many reasons why software is slowly taking over - it's just plain easier!)...

Don't get discouraqed man....I know it can be frustrating when you are starting out, but persistance pays off!! :D