It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

Post subject: PLEASE ASSIST!!!.....ROLAND SP-606
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:55 pm 

Im havin a lil trouble wit the roland sp-606.....If someone could help me out...it would be much appreciated...

PROB #1 Transferring songs from 606 to my computer. It came with this wack ass cakewalk software that is difficult to use..I cant get anything to change on there from the pattern to the song....Anyway, I made a song using the machine only and a few samples here and there...I want to post them and let people check it out, but cant figure out how to transfer....

PROB #2 How do I keep the MFX effects applied to the finished product.....Everytime i turn the machine off they go away.....Then when i turn it on I have to apply the effects all over again....Ive read the owners manual every way you can and it dosent say how ot do any of these things anywhere in it.......

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:48 pm 

G'day DJ Tweek.

OK, first of all, the software is the easiest software ever to use (anything that's easier than fruityloops has to be the easiest) but it wont export wavs. There are two ways to solve this problem.

1: buy Cakewalk Kinetic (same software just more powerful with proper editing and export facilities). I suspect this is what the company would like you to do. At least it's cheap :D

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/Kinetic/default.asp

2: Use the EXT SEQ SAMPLING to take your sounds from the software to the hardware, then save as wav files from the hardware. Option 1 is obviously better...just costs a few dollars.

Next, getiing a whole song from a sampler has long been the bane of the new user. It's the same with almost all hardware units, exept the mighty MV8800 and maybe the MPC4000 (dunno). In this respect, the sampler is an instrument and should be treated as such.

What you do is play the song, tweaking away, and record the output into the computer. This will give you a 'live mix' of your track. I use the Edirol UA20 to capture my audio. Alternatively, you could record the separate tracks of your song and arrange them on the computer. This would give you greater control at the expense of the live feel.

As for effects, they are intended as live effects, to be tweaked live on the fly. However, what you can do is apply the effects to the SAMPLE (rather than the song) and RESAMPLE the sample with the effects applied.

Check the RESAMPLING section of your manual to do this.

If you get stuck or have any more questions don't hesitaite to ask 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:15 am 

Dj Tweek sadly to say that there isn't a song export button or a func button .. you have to buy a card to install to the cpu to record . But as far as you using the hadware for a controller for the p-606 the sp-606 has to be in Ext mode . Then you can control parts ,volume , and assign the knobs .But as 606man said for you to record you using the mfx you have to resample .. Ohh if you havent' notice that there isn't a manuall chop also so look out and work around that too . Which is using the Sample loop edit and copy that how I work around that one .But enjoy ... and remember tthe groove that moves U!!

tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:14 am 

There's no manual chop because the autochop works wonders!

You don't absolutely need a card - you can record straight onto your computer through the line in. You'll lose a little bit of sound quality, but it's enough to get you going before you go ahead and fork out for another interface. I mean, people are happy recording the 404 through RCA's, so don't get too precious about the connection until you are ready to go to the next level with your mixing/mastering skills. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:42 pm 

606man is that chopn' you do on a 4bar drumloop ?? And is it a perfect chop ?? I'm not tying to dis you or call you a lier but ... i'm curious because my loops dont' get chopd' nicely at all :( and I would luv to know what you are doing so I might be able to make it work for me :)) Thnx for the info 606man and remember the grooves that move U !!
tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 am 

The Autochop works using some kind of arcane mathematical process that I don't really understand, to be honest. However, as I explained in the Chopper thread, you need to try the chopper on different settings to get the best results.

In theory (according to the manual) the lowest setting (1) is the least sensitive. This is not always the case. Try all ten settings if need be to get the results you desire.

It's designed for 1 bar loops, so that could be a part of your problem.

Don't forget you can still manually edit the chops if need be!!!!

Post subject: still having a lil troouble
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:31 pm 

Im still having a lil trouble comprehending what 606man said about recording with the line in.......

Heres my set up.....I have a stanton sa-3 battle mixer....thats like the center piece of my equipment.....I have the 606 running off of one channel.....And my turentable and dual cd players running on the other.........The mixer has 2 channels each with a phono and line input........I have my mixer hooked up to my house stero reciever via rca.........Then i have a usb connect from the 606 to the computer......and thats the jist of it...

What I am trying to accomplish is....Im trying to somehow transfer my song from the machine itself into the computer so i can burn it to a cd or mp3 playre, or post on the internet for people to hear...........Ive had the machine for a lil over a month and i really dont understand all the lingo that goes on in this forum.........

Shouldnt it be possible to do this cause of the usb connection from 606 to computer????...........I've given up on the cakewalk.......Ive used fruity loops and really didnt like it but atleast to me it seemed a lil more user friendly..........If anyone can give me some input on this it would be greatly appreciated............Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:54 pm 

Hey DJ Tweek, I was having the same problems.. well similar problems. 606man helped me out, go to my post about the same problem. Read everything. It might actually help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:43 pm 

dj Tweek okay this is probably what you have or should do ....
1st go out and get you an interface any make or model shoud do but you'll probably want usb type and external ( thats what I got ;) ) . Connect the out from the mixer to the interface inputs and the interface to the cpu - usb connection . And remember the groove that moves U !!!
tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:12 am 

tweek, the USB connection doesn't mean you can transfer songs/beats between the 606 and PC
you need to record the audio from the 606 into your PC
that's why you'll need an audio interface/soundcard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:52 am 

Bah!!!!!

I can see I'm gonna have to post photos of the required leads at this rate!

An interface is nice but not really a necessity...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:55 am 

true
my factory soundcard was shocking though, would add loud noise to everything going in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:06 am 

Damn! What sort of comp are you using? I use laptops, which are supposed to add noise, but don't seem to add much at all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:36 am 

a PC...about 4 years old. aside from the shitty inbuilt souncard it runs well
i bought a Presonus Firebox and haven't looked back (stereo ins and outs!)

the hiss that the old soundcard gave me in my headphones would nauseate me and cause dizziness :( not cool after a long session

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:48 am 

Yeah that would be untenable for sure.

I'm using an Edirol UA-20, just so that I can have balanced connections all the way through the signal chain (basically no noise at all!)..