It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:13 am

Post subject: Choppity Chop Chopper
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:46 am 

The chopper is something I've been using a lot for multisampling lately. It works great, but can be a little unpredictable.

Basically, setting (level) 1 is supposed to be the LEAST sensitive, and 10 the most.

In practise though, it is rarely this simple. For example - while (level) 1 is generally the least sensitive, 2 is over the top and three is generally the most usable...5 and 7 seem to be useful too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - EXPERIMENT!!! If one setting makes a mess of things, try another. I've yet to find a sample that no setting works for.

One thing I would like to know is whether the 404 chopper is the same? Has anybody on here used it much and is it just as unpredictable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:10 am 

dude, just read your multi-sample tutorial. very interesting, you've clearly got a connection with your 606 and know it inside out. Roland should pay you to re-write the manual!

as far as chopping on the 404, there isn't a function that automatically does it. i usually slice things up in Cool Edit on the PC before recording it into the 404.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:20 am 

Oh OK. Recycle/Soundforge/Cool Edit/Audacity are just as good - just not quite as quick...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:50 pm 

The more I use the chopper the better I realise it is! Man this thing rocks - for loading drumkits as well as multisamples....

If you want to fill up a bank with a particular drumkit, simply load a 'multisample' of the kit and spread it across the pads using the method outlined in 'multisamples'......

so easy and so quick (once you get used to it) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:36 am 

Hiya again 606man the video on the Roland website say's you can download more kits on the website but where at ?? And if so are they drumkits ?? And one more question please explain in more detail if u don't mind :) what is really a drumkit ?? Also on the video Mic is talking about taking a sample chop it up and addiing it to the drumkit , What drumkit ???As you can see i'm lost and confused at the same time .. Thanks again ... and cya ..

tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:19 am 

hey dude how's it going? Grooooovey I hope!

Hmmmm I dunno about Roland having 'drumkits' available, but then I haven't looked.... I much prefer to source my own sounds.

If you are looking for drums on the net, just search for 'free drum samples' in google and wonder at the immense variety out there in webland..

A 'drumkit' is a collection of drum sounds that go together to make a virtual 'kit' (picture a real drumkit) - drum sounds that 'go together' in other words.

Typically, a drumkit would consist of a kick, snare, ride, open+closed hats, rimshot, toms, cymbal and maybe a cowbell. There are of course MANY variations on this, but that's a good starting point.

To make a drumkit for the 606, get a pile of one-shot drum samples and load them into your DAW. It can be helpful to apply the same compression and reverb setting to the disparate hits to make them sound more coherent, but I'll explain that later...

Put each hit on a separate track in the DAW. So, kick on track one, snare on two, etc. Make sure you leave a gap of silence between the hits. like this:

Track one: Kick Sample -- Gap.
Track two: ---------------------- Snare Sample -- Gap.
Track three:----------------------------------------------- Cymbal Crash -- Gap.....

and so on. Notice how each sample starts AFTER the one on the track above and has a gap after it. This ensures that the samples are niceley separated.

Once you have your samples (up to 16 different hits for one kit) set up in your DAW (you can save the file as a 'drumkit template' too, to save time in the future), render the whole lot as one MONO sample.

Load the single sample into the SP-606, use the chopper to split the samples and spread them across the pads. Select which bank to save them to and you're done :lol:

Using this method you can have up to 32 drumkits saved on a single card. Nice.

Hope that helps man. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:17 pm 

Thnx 606man for the info but is there another way of loading drumkits ?? Or getting drumkits?? That take me a long time to config (pad 1 kick pad2 and so on :( wow thats alot of work for a drumkit dont' u think ?? ) Could I use the p-606 instead ?? And loading drumkits .. I know where I want the kick snare extra but actually loading them to the pads it's not as a easy task ( I'm I missing something here ?? ) Like a example I use cubase so on track 1 i'll have a kick ( now this is audio not midi right ) and track 2 snare and soo on right ;) but here's my hard part is loading it in the pads ..they don't load the way I got them set on the tracks ?? Thnx and remember the groove that moves U!!
tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:26 am 

The tracks in the DAW go from 1 to 16 right?

Load the rendered 16 track sample to the 606 (this is ONE sample, with 16 distinct sounds). Use the autochop to assign the samples to the pads. Choose any padbank you like.

The sample on track one will go to pad one - the sample on track 16 will go there. It's that simple. It's really no work at all (anything that takes less than 5 minutes is not work imo). I'm not sure of another way to explain it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:15 pm 

Thnx for the reply 606man . Could I use Kinetic or p-606 and use the ext seq and assign the pads right there ? Or is that too much work involed ?? I'm not sure never have tried it thro ... I'll will to attempt it and let ya'll know if it works :) and remember the groove that moves U !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:10 am 

worth a try, but I think the P606/Kinectic software and EXT SEQ function are for capturing loops, not one shots.

What you could try is making a 'loop' with all your drumhits, using EXT SEQ to get it across, and then split it into one-shots using the autochop...

Now that I think of it, I think you may be onto something....do let me know how you go man! 8)