It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:55 pm

Post subject: Windaz Vista
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:40 pm 

Anybody using this OS yet? I've been resisting but the time has come where this is no longer possible.

I've D/L the vista drivers for the 606 - my Question is - anybody using their 606 as a soundcard with Windows Vista?

... Does it work OK? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:33 am 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I haven't tried yet, but I could take my SP-606 to my parents place and check it out there. They've got a laptop with Windows Vista on it, I'm still resisting to make the switch myself.

I probably won't be anywhere near my parents for the next week and a half or so though... so uhm, if you're in a hurry I can't help you here.

(Although I could ask my room mates if they happen to own Vista, will get back to you on that.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:24 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I hear Vista can be pretty screwy when it comes to things like that. Good Luck 606man. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:44 am 

Euclid Ov Oåklånd wrote:
I hear Vista can be pretty screwy when it comes to things like that. Good Luck 606man. :D

That's what I hear too :?

There's no avoiding it anymore though :(

Phemox - that would be great - I'm still a month or so off the 'upgrade' anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:54 pm 

rolands site has drivers for the 32 bit version of vista available... too bad it doent have a comment section(whomp...whomp).

it says it supports ASIO as well. if u got to the free asio site they mey have a vista updates as well.

i do have an issue of RECORDING magazine where they go over compatability w/ vista. software aimed @ pc users such as SOUNDFORGE and sonar/cubase were said to have a better workflow since theres a feature in vista that provides exclusive processing power to those type of applications. they also mention that outside of that they wouldnt really use it for anything else.

hope this gives u an idea. there are alot of manufactuers that dont plan on releasing anthing until most bugs are fixed. peace

http://soundcloud.com/spforumspodcast/podcast-q/s-6qvGJ
[email protected]
http://www.twitter.com/dirtykics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:45 pm 

Well, I hope you guys been keeping up with the news.. February Press release.. It was official Vista will be no more starting Jan of 09' Bill gates and microsoft has officaiily release "Windows 7" it wasn't suppose to be out till 2010, however due to many problems other software is having with vista.. Right now the current problem is Vista is not backwards compatibily, so that means you can't upgrade if you have vista.. Microsoft did announce May 08 that they will be implementing a plan to make vista compatibily, so future users can upgrade with ease.. Let me find it and I will post it..

http://windows7news.com/

Microsoft came out with Windows 95 which was loved by many, and then replaced the system with Windows 98 which did not become too popular till Windows 98 SE. They then tried to go Vista like and come out with Windows ME which was a flop, and had to scramble to come out with Windows XP which until SP2 it was not as good but is now the system of choice. Even their Windows XP x64 built on the Windows Server 2003 engine is far superior than Vista but was supported only for a short term. So Microsoft knows Vista will never be the best OS, to bulky and all the Service Packs in the world cannot correct this but they cannot just come out and say this like when Windows ME was released, they just have to come out with their new OS premiering in 2009 called Windows 7 (Or Name They May Change It To, But Is Currently In The Works) which will be the next OS of its time and fix all the issues they are having.

Other forum users are talking about it greatly.. take a look at cakewalk forums (I'm deeply involved in this forum)

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1397 ... s&#1399101

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:52 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Sounds like a smart move on Mr.Gates part, even the people I know that helped develop it said Vista blows. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:21 pm 

:? all of this is making me more worried... fkn sucks you can't get new PCs with XP nemore... well you can, but not if it's a 'work' PC..

I've got both 32bit and 64bit versions of the drivers; no-one can tell me which I will need.

There's gonna be an 'interesting' thread here when I've gotta deal with this :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:44 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I'm sure you will need to use the 32bit Vista driver... you don't get the Vista 64bit OS by default.. they usually give you a 32bit Vista. For a 64bit version you usually have to ask, so you'd know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 pm 

Yeah, I'd thought that but the tech here at school reckons that the system will be dual-core 64bit. But I haven't seen that in writing so I don't really believe him to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:20 am 

I'm using my SP606 as soundcard for my Vista laptop with no problems at all.

I've heard you have to uninstall all other external USB device drivers (MIDI/USB keyboards, etc.), install the 606 driver, and then reinstall the others, but that wasn't an issue for me as my laptop was new and the 606 drivers were the first I installed.

Vista is a 'mare in every other respect, though! I've finally given up trying to run Sonar HS6XL on my laptop, I'm now using Reaper instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:41 am 

good to hear 'bout the 606 - the version 1.0 drivers made me think it must work OK, but I was still worried.

Bad news about Sonar though - I love that App

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:07 pm 

606man wrote:
Bad news about Sonar though - I love that App

I tried everything. Haunted forums, pestered experts, nothing worked. I was well sick when I finally gave up; I'd already sold my MC909 to pay for the laptop, software and 606.

Luckily I've been playing live bass for someone else (izzie Voodoo)to keep my musical sanity intact, without that I think I'd have lost it. We've just started using the 606 for the backing singer to trigger samples live as well now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:28 pm 

The 606 is simply second-to-none for live work... you'll love it and so will the crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:52 pm 

606man wrote:
The 606 is simply second-to-none for live work... you'll love it and so will the crowd.

At the moment she's just triggering the odd pre-sampled chord or sweep, but I hope to get her into using the DBeam, and maybe some vocal fx, etc. soon.