It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

Post subject: Effects knobs not working properly
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:24 pm 

So I recently picked up a used 606 which seems to be in overall good condition, but it has a problem with the effects knobs.

The range of turning the knob doesn't correspond to what's on screen. For example when the knob is turned fully anticlockwise the dial on screen won't budge further than 9 o'clock, and when the knob is centred, the dial on screen is one notch anticlockwise from the centre where it should be. I've attached a couple of pictures to try and show this.

The other thing which is really weird and I can't show properly without doing a video is that when I have the physical knob cranked all the way anticlockwise, hitting certain pads makes the effects dials on the display jump around eg Pad 1 makes CTRL1 + CTRL3 move briefly to where they should be (for as long as the pad is held down) and Pad 5 makes CTRL2 move in the same way.

I've tried initializing, but it had no effect.

Attachment:
DSC_0070.JPG
DSC_0070.JPG [ 132.81 KiB | Viewed 7916 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0071.JPG
DSC_0071.JPG [ 169.36 KiB | Viewed 7916 times ]

Post subject: Re: Effects knobs not working properly
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:13 pm 

i have similar problems with knob1, but ive never tried to clean it with spay or soemthing.
personally i have pads 13-14-15-15 ALWAYS lighting, but now i'm accostumated with that :)
ps
i also tried reinitialite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:30 pm 

Roland is very helpfull when requested to provide the Service Notes (if you don't further distribute it, upload it etc).
That document contains a test-procedure, which also goes thru all knobs & buttons.

This might probably only confirm what you already know though, but still, perhaps something pops up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:53 pm 

As an update on this- I contacted Roland UK and they provided me with the contact for a servicing engineer.

I described the problem to him and he thought it might be a damaged solder joint so I guess that means opening up the box at some point. The only other thing I could think of is that maybe a solder whisker has grown between a couple of points on the PCB, and is causing some small shorts inside. I am still convinced it's software though, I've now noticed that the D Beam is also affecting the effects parameters. With the D Beam off, if I wave my hand close to the IR LED/Receiver it has an effect on whichever effect is currently selected!

It might just be a quirk of the box that I will have to learn to live with, but it's frustrating as I think the effects are the best thing about the SP series!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:39 am 

Hi,
Do you have the original power supply?
If you believe it's software related problem, download the latest firmware and reinstall it. Then re-intialize.