It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

Post subject: Reasons why I should keep the 606?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:09 pm 

I'll be picking up a 404 soon. I came up on the 505 and have had the 606 for the past couple years. I know how all the SP's work and I know that the 404 will do about 90% of what I need done now. I've thought that I could fine tune all my samples and chops on the 606, but I know I could do this in any DAW. I thought about slaving the 404 and picking up velocity on the 606, but I know I could pick up a cheap midi pad and do the same. I have no issue with the 606, it has served me well. I just don't want it to collect dust.

In your opinions, how and what could I do with the 606 and 404 if I decide to hold on to the both of them?

Post subject: Re: Reasons why I should keep the 606?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:03 pm 

You can use your 606 instead of buying a midi controller, (no matter how cheap).
You can keep it to chop with since its the only SP AFAIK that has cut groups.
You can keep it as an interface since its the only SP besides the 555 that can be one.
You can use the 404 and the 606 to bounce patterns between, like I do with my 505 x 606.
You can use it as an efx box, its still the only SP with dual efx.

I’m about to get a "beat thang" and that can do everything the 606 can, plus do pitch shifting, has tons more polyphony and has better midi routeing but I won't get rid of my 606 'cus its still a killer efx box. Its also the only machine I would trust on stage and that includes my 505 with it's "take forever to load ass".

Everyone has their favourite SP but the 606 has the widest range of ability IMHO and can always come in handy.

If you are going to get rid of it let me know. I could use a spare. it would have a good home.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

Post subject: Re: Reasons why I should keep the 606?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:34 am 

I didn't have my 606 for long, and I accidentally killed all the internal samples when I just wanted to delete 1 sample. (Doh!) But I think it's the closest a SP got to being mpcesque. It was handy having 2 effect units in one. It's up to you, but if you want to move on from it, you can.