It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:56 am 

i"m new to the sp-606 in fact it's my 1st sampler. I've had it for allmost 2yrs now. But I haven't made any music with it at all . The style that I like to listen to and has an intrest in is House music .But i've played around with the unit ( played around ) . My setup is a cpu 2.4 ram 1gig with sp-606 , mc-303 , and the newest one of my setup (which is comming is the mc-808 next week ) . ( I really wanted the mc-909 but they stop making them ) I all so have Kinetic's 1 & 2 . Any info on what i'm doing wrong please post even if it's negative one's .Remember the groove that moves U !!!!!

tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:54 pm 

With that setup, you can make awesome House.

Use the MC-303 as a drum machine. It's perfect for that role, but a little limited for much else, except maybe the odd bassline.

Run the 303 into the audio-in on the 606, so you can filter/effect the drums. See the audio input section in your manual for details.

Also, don't forget to use the midi cables to sync the two machines. The 303 makes a poor master, so make it the slave!!

With the 303 handling drums, your 606 is free to add the 'sparkle'. Make leadlines and effects in Kinetic and use the 'EXT SEQ SAMPLING' function to load them onto the 606. Keep 'em mono for the most part, unless there's a real reason to have 'em stereo. You can have eight sounds playing at once on your 606 if you do this.

When you import sounds using 'EXT SEQ SAMPLING' you still have to set up the parameters for the sample before it will work smoothly. Set the 'SAMPLE PARAM' and the 'BPM SYNC' (see manual) and your good to go.

If you are having trouble with actual music theory, it might be a good idea to deconstruct a favourite track. Attempt to copy their sounds and structures - this is a great way to learn....and you have all the tools you need right there.

good luck man.

Last edited by 606man on Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:48 am 

Then when I get the mc-808 how would I or could I add it to my setup ?? The way I plan to do it is make the 808 master for the 303 and the 606 then run the 808 to the cpu and run the midi to make them syc right , but i've dont' know what program to use it for yet ? Cubase or Cakewalk or Ableton ?? I don't have any of those yet . My sound card for the cpu is an on board which don't sound any good at all . I've read you're acticle on 606 makes a good soundcard but I can't get it to work for me that way . When I got it connected to the cpu it's differnt . Do you or have you used any of those programs ?? Remember the groove that moves U !!!

Thanks tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:18 am 

The MC808 will go well with your setup.

You will have to get a midi patchbay though if you want to get them in sync on stage - more than 2 things on MTC gets shaky. In the studio though you'll be fine.

To get your 606 acting as a soundcard, make sure you have the drivers installed, and then go into 'control panel' (PC) and select the 606 to do everything...

hope that helps. I think I may have spoken to you before? are you in asia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:40 pm 

Thanks for the info 606man whats different between studio and on stage ? And where can I find a midi patchbay at ? And the 606 is hooked up to my cpu as a soundcard will I hear sound from my headset ? or my speakers ?? or both ?? And again thanks for the info on my setup :)

Thank you
tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:12 pm 

The main difference between studio and stage is that in the studio you can do things 'step-by-step', whereas on stage everything must be 'ready-to-go'.

That is to say, in the studio you can take your time, try out different things, use your equipment in unusual ways for specific purposes (like in some of the tips I've posted). For example, in the studio it's perfectly normal for me to use every last voice in the 606 (there's only 8 after all!) just for a drum beat. Then I can export that beat and turn it into a single sample, that only uses one voice.

This has to be done for stage - you can't have your sampler 'just' playing a beat on stage - those other voices need to be utilised for vocals and fx and leadlines etc...so the preperation prior to a live set is somewhat similar to a live band. Before we play out, we setup the samplers (and the synths, drum machines and pedals) to do what we want, when we want. You DONT want surprises on stage!!

It's nice, because we have to rehearse just like any live band does, and people appreciate that, as it takes some of the snobby 'oh you just used a machine to do that, so it's not really music' attitude out of the crowd. When people see us play, they know we've rehearsed. It's quite the opposite of using something like Abelton Live. It's a lot of work but it's more than worth it.

Midi Patchbays are becoming a bit hard to find these days, especially if you want to hook up several machines. We use the Roland A880, but it's discontinued (there MAY be an edirol replacement, I'm not sure). Google 'Roland or Yamaha Midi Patchbay' and see what you can get. They come up on Ebay a bit.

When you have your 606 configured as the soundcard you will hear sound from both your headset and your speakers (provided they are hooked up to the 606s outputs!).

keep at it man, you'll get it all happening!

Last edited by 606man on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:22 pm 

Ohh 606man if you have the chance to check out the mc-808 you should .. I know this is the sp-forums so I won't say anymore :) As far as the midipatch ( no luck ) . I went to a local music store and they didnt' even knew what it was :( I was shocked .Now I belive I got the sp-606 hooked up right :)) . But there is no sound from my cpu on the 606 is that right ? :) Well thanks for the reply ...

tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:34 pm 

tuanjamz2 wrote:
Then when I get the mc-808 how would I or could I add it to my setup ?? The way I plan to do it is make the 808 master for the 303 and the 606 then run the 808 to the cpu and run the midi to make them syc right , but i've dont' know what program to use it for yet ? Cubase or Cakewalk or Ableton ?? I don't have any of those yet . My sound card for the cpu is an on board which don't sound any good at all . I've read you're acticle on 606 makes a good soundcard but I can't get it to work for me that way . When I got it connected to the cpu it's differnt . Do you or have you used any of those programs ?? Remember the groove that moves U !!!

Thanks tuanjamz2

To tell you the truth, I'd forget about the 303 once you get the 808.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:38 pm 

The 303 still makes a good drum machine - 16 channels of drums is always handy. I know what you're getting at though! the 808 sounds a bit more 'up to date'.....tuanjamz is making House Music though, so those dated drum sounds will always have a place on the House-Club dancefloor...the 303 would be absolutely useless for hip-hop though lol :)

Tuanjamz: if you are going to be a one-man live show, I would follow JSrockits' advice and dump the 303 - the 808+606 combo is all you'll ever need for the style you wish to create, and if you are using only two machines it eliminates the need for the patchbay entirely.

You will have 20+ tracks to play with, which is more than enough for one man to worry about!!!

Last edited by 606man on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:48 pm 

Thanks guys for the reply's jsrockit & 606man :) . Well to be honest the 808 is nice but it has no keypad's like a keyboard that's why I would use it for a controlled the 808 . But I've learned something thro , I can use the compact flash card's on 606 & 808 I just have to reformat them :) which I thought was a sweet thing . I've haven't hook them both up yet :(( which trust me I want to . A problem I'm thinking about now is do I run the 606 to my cpu or my 808 . The 808 software isn't the same as the 606 . The 808 use's something new like a usb-midi ( which i have no idea what that means :( . And I"m not sure on which one to make Master or Slave on the midi sync ?? Well once again guy's thanks :)) . Remember the groove that moves U !!!

tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:41 pm 

I would make the 606 the master to avoid problems (you really have only a 60bpm range of difference on the 606 in a live setting, eg 110 to 170bpm). The 808 SHOULD be able to instantly change to ANY tempo without problems (like the MC505 can).

But wait, are you saying that the 808 doesn't have regular midi connections? That cant be right??? can it? I've gotta go check this out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:01 am 

OK sweet the 808 has regular midi connections...

Don't use the usb connections for anything other than studio work (hooking up to your computer); use regular, tried and true, midi cables. Short cables are a must too, as Midi Time Clock can be occasionally shaky even with only two machines and shorter, shielded cables are best.

Besides, you want everything at your fingertips...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:03 am 

hmmmm, funny that this thread has sooooo many views. Peeps always looking for 'shortcomings' with the 606. sorry; none here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:28 pm 

Well 606man I dont' know what to say about that except ...Everything isn't perfect even these machine's ...... But I would reallly love it if Roland would make an update where you can manually chop the sample instead of the auto chop ( which is really the divided chop )or do the way I do that is set my loop of my sample then copy then chop it up ..Its a pain !! It would be nice just to move the cursor over to the chop and chop what you want to :(( . Have you plug a midi keyboard to the sp-606 ?? I've done it and I'm impressed what result's I got from it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:50 pm 

haha I know it isn't perfect, but it isn't the heap of ish that people say it is either. Most people just don't spend the time with it to work out how to do things - it's easier for them to say that it can't do it instead, which is just wrong. For example, the BPM Sync function isn't easy to work out at first, so peeps just say that the machine can't do it!!! Wrong!!!!

As far as I know you can set chop points manually, or at least edit the chops after it's done. Personally I use Recyle, so I'll have to delve into a part of the 606 that I haven't yet explored at all to its fullest... (and people say that they had it two weeks and exhuasted its possibilities!). My buddy uses the chop function a lot, so I'll ask him to explain..