It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:51 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:48 am 

OK I just phoned a friend on this one! My buddy says that the chop function works in a very similar way to Recycle: you set the threshold (this is the 'level' setting) and the sp-606 will chop the sample accordingly. A high value will only separate the most obvious parts and a low threshold will chop it up into as many as sixteen parts. He says that a mid-range setting usually works best. 8) The chop function is therefore based around the transients in the sound, which is always going to be the best way to chop a sample up (short of doing it manually).

You can also edit the newly-chopped samples separately, so an enormous amount of control is available through a very simple interface..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:30 pm 

hiya 606man how r ya , and what you found out about chopn' on the 606 ?? Is roland gonna do a update on it ?? ( hey i'm still wishing on that BIG FN' Star far away man !! ) But I'm gonna change the subject before I get booted out of here hehe... On another Topic you told me to use acid wave file's. I'm still working on gettting the program. But to a newbiee like myself please explain what is exactly is a acid wave ?? And also a aiff wave too .Is it quality or quanity ?? And you also said that the p-606 use's the acid file's but can it make them as well ?? I dont' recall the unit using them ?? But I do remember the guy Mike from roland talking about them on the slide show he did with the unit on the website. Well 606man gotta plug N and play around with the unit !! Remember the groove that moves U!!!! Ossp now I see you have all ready found out how it works . Dohhh Well thnks 606man!!!

tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:42 am 

606man wrote:

This has to be done for stage - you can't have your sampler 'just' playing a beat on stage - those other voices need to be utilised for vocals and fx and leadlines etc...so the preperation prior to a live set is somewhat similar to a live band. Before we play out, we setup the samplers (and the synths, drum machines and pedals) to do what we want, when we want. You DONT want surprises on stage!!

It's nice, because we have to rehearse just like any live band does, and people appreciate that, as it takes some of the snobby 'oh you just used a machine to do that, so it's not really music' attitude out of the crowd. When people see us play, they know we've rehearsed. It's quite the opposite of using something like Abelton Live. It's a lot of work but it's more than worth it.

sounds interesting man. i've been getting my chops up on the 404 for similar purposes. do you have any performances coming up? i'm in melbourne too, wouldn't mind checking it out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:29 pm 

Been playing at 3D (second floor) man.... Just waiting for a phone call from St Luke to see when we play next.... it's been about once-a-month so far. We've got a spot at the Castlemaine Fringe Festival later this year too.

Our sound is somewhere between Hard Techno and Psytrance, with a smattering of House and Breaks. We use 2 606s on most of our songs...Definately NO hiphop though (I'm not a rapper!!!!!).

We play under the name "Proximity Effect".

You can see our 'studio' in the 'pics of peoples setups' thread in the 404 section. As you can see we are not rich buggers - it's taken over ten years to get the equipment that we have and the 606 is the ONLY new piece of equipment I've ever bought - the rest is old second-hand stuff!

I would like to put some of our music up onto the net, but I haven't worked out how to do it yet! You dunno how do you? I've been a little bit wary about putting stuff out there as we got ripped off once back in the day and have felt a bit burned ever since.....and I see with the whole Timbaland thing that ripping off unknowns still happens...but meh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:41 pm 

that picture of your set-up looks very nice, bro. i've also slowly been accumulating knowledge and gear, never seems enough time in the day to play with it though

i love a bit of psytrance, especially mixed up with breaks, so i'd definitely be interested in seeing you guys. let me know when you're next on :)

yeah i heard about that timbaland rip-off...that's some dirty shit. i've heard that soundclick ( http://www.soundclick.com/ ) is a good place to put music, but i've never tried it. or you could upload a track to www.sendspace.com and just share the link with people you want to hear the song?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:52 pm 

Cool thanks for the tip - I'd thought about soundclick but I guess I'll just have to take the plunge and put some stuff out there.....the hip-hop boys will hate it though! (good).

Don't let 3D put you off either - it's NOT as scary as people reckon - no where near as scary as Bubble anyway (imo).. I'll keep you 'posted'..lol

We're hoping to get a website happening this year too - not lame'o' Myspace, but a proper one, you know.. :wink: