It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:20 am 

The Trance Gate Vol.2

This is really, really fun and adds a whole new dimension to both the 606 and any other old bits of kit (even toys!) you have lying around.

1. Plug in a synth to the audio in jacks. Any synth with sustained sounds will do – I’ve even had awesome results from a casiotone!
2. Set up the Filter. You don’t want the surgical 6-pole for this job; in fact the lowly 2-pole with about 50% resonance is best. Depending on your purpose, the high-pass option may be the one to go for, especially if you would like to do this in a live performance situation.
3. Setup your MFX. There are a ton of options here, but you’ll usually need some kind of slicer in there somewhere. Here’s some of my favourite combo’s though:
• Slicer into Tape Delay (classic trance gate)
• BPM Slicer + Flange into Slicer (twisted techno + more variation in slices)
• BPM Slicer + Flange into Rotary (70s madness)
• BPM Tremolo into Reverse (ummm, difficult to describe)
• Step Phaser into Slicer (More techno effects)
• Slicer + Flanger into Space-D (big trance gate effect)

As you can see, the possibilities are endless. The 606 acts like the cool part of a modular synth for this task – the synth provides the Oscillators + Envelopes and the 606 adds the Filter and Effects. Fun for all the family.

You can really breath new life into your old gear this way – I love the sound of my V50, but it really needed a decent filter. Enter the 606 with the most awesome filter ever and a slew of effects. And I bought it *just* as a sampler!

One thing that this version of the ‘Trance Gate’ is better for than the other way to do it is the fact that you have more control over the exact notes played. This is the way to go if you are on stage as the DBeam synth, whilst always producing original results, can be a little unruly in a live situation and so should be left for studio experimentation!!