It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:52 pm 

Westcoast Basslines

This is a really simple way to get those much-sought-after westcoast basslines from your SP-606. This tip will not only give you a sine bass that is incredibly deep, it will guarantee that you have individual basslines that nobody else can even think about reproducing (unless they are one of the dozen or so people that have a 606!).

Step 1 – set up the D-Beam synth. You want the triangle wave (little harmonic content) and a fairly narrow note range (unless you want an ‘all over the shop’ sound!). The Blues scale seems to work well, but try some of the more unusual scales for interesting and original results.

Step 2 – set MFX 1 as ‘SUBSONIC’. This adds another sine-wave at about 30hz to your bassline, giving it all the sub-bass juice it needs.

Step 3 – Set MFX 2 as ‘FILTER + DRIVE’. Keep the drive off if you want the authentic smooth sound – crank it for crunk.

Step 4 – Wave your hand to play the bassline while tweaking the filter controls with the other hand….You will get results that cannot be made any other way..

Step 5 – turn on the master compressor if you need to add even more pounds to your sound. Focus on the low frequencies, of course.

Note: if you use the master compressor for a task like this, make a note of the settings you use, as the SP-606 only allows one user setup at a time (it’s a bit like my old SH-101 like that!). I have a notepad just for my SP-606 settings (FX, D-Beam, padbanks/samples etc.)…

Note 2: I don’t actually make hip-hop – this effect works just as well for DnB (which I do dabble in).

Enjoy, Gangsta Style!!

Post subject: 606man... youre the troof!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:48 pm 

I'd pretty much given up on my SP606, just because of what I expected/wanted out of it and what I felt I was limited by... I pretty much settled for "sampling myself" live onto my pc... youve definitely inspired me to see what I can make happen with the SP606 / P606 software now with all these crazy posts Ive seen you make (unreal!)

I was a classically trained musician in another life and thru fruity loops/cool edit pro/mp3 samplage - I got into music production as a hobby/ former passion a couple years ago

I just recently purchased a 64 key midi-controller to go along with my basic SP606/Old School CEP & FL set up with various sound kits.

I was frustrated beyond belief when my boy showed me how he can record a sample onto his yamaha motif, and 'chop it' up over some 50 keys!!!

Any insight into chops or how to use the P606 software to better utilize the SP606's chopping feature ???

Thanks in advance..

any insight on ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL would be greatly appreciated (dont stop those other random info posts!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:56 am 

hehe I know what you mean about 'giving up' on the 606 - I've met quite a few peeps now who got rid of one and then saw what it could do later on! It's actually way deeper than most think, but it has to be coaxed into doing things...the rewards are enormous though.

Now, the multisample question - this is one I'm working on at the moment; so far I've been able to load in a multisample and play it from my midi controller. I'll post a long post explaining how to do it as soon as I've worked out some of the finer details, such as how to put multi samples on different pad banks etc.. Rest assured that you CAN do it. It wont be as straightforward as the motif (nothing seems to be straightforward with the 606!) but it will ultimately give you greater control over the results. Wait for your friend to be the frustrated one!!

In the meantime, try this;;;

Make a multisample in your computer sequencer with a softsynth. Make a pattern with a note for each semitone with a small gap between the notes. Export the file as a wav. Then load the wav into the 606 and use the chop function to spread it across the pads. done - a multisample on the 606! You can trigger the samples with your controller keyboard. Check the manual for midi controller lanes. As I said I'll do a proper rambling post soon on this but hopefully that'l get you going.

Oh, and use a mute group to make the sample a monosynth unless you want the 606 to ONLY be playing that one sample!

Cheers.

Post subject: just wanted to let you know I saw your response....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:26 pm 

just didnt reply right away and I'm still tryin to catch up with you on the westcoast bassline thing... Ill let you know if I have any questions with regards to the chops.

Once again, good look...

peace.