It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:44 pm 

OK, I'm at work at the moment so I'll start with a nice and simple one.

1 - Make a beat with nice 808-style kicks, short snare sounds and no ride.

2 - Turn on the Tumbling effect.

3 - Adjust the timing of the effect until you get a 'ride' sound occuring, from the kick or snare.

4 - you can dramatically alter the feel of the beat by focussing on the kick, or the snare.

5 - works best at slower tempos - athough I have used it to great effect in realtime for techno sets...increase the effect until you get pure noise!

6 - Layer the original back in to add even more weight.

Last edited by 606man on Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:35 pm 

606man how can you layer using the 606 ?? Please explain more detail :)) . And this setup is also using a mixer right ?? Remember the groove that move's U !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:40 pm 

OK this tip is for working on a loop (most of what I do involves loops - that's why I love this sampler so much - it loves loops as much as I do!), so you are dealing with a single loop on one track of the sequencer (or just playing away from a pad; your choice). When you get the tumbling sound just right, resample to another pad, with the tumbling in place.

Now you have two samples, one effected and the original one.

Now, on another track in the sequencer, or on another pad, you play the original loop and the effected one together. The relative loudness of each sample with dictate how much of the original and how much of the effected sound you are hearing.

Here's another idea for this one too: make a loop on the 606 using all four tracks in the sequencer. Have the kicks on one track, snares on another, hi-hats on another and som toms or cowbells or whatever on the last track. Now, apply the tumbling function to some samples but not others - it can sound anything from incongruous to downright fantastic! This is a great wahy to get original and unusual 'ghost hits' on snares etc.

Oh, you can do all this on one track of the sequencer too if you want - just apply the effect to only the PADS you wish to (MFX Assign).