It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm

Post subject: quicker way to make subsonic basslines,
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:14 pm 

so instead of tuning all your bass notes and getting frustrated, just sample 1 bass note to another sampler and then tune the bass note that way, sample each note fast and quick untill you have all your notes,, if someone knows a better way to do it in the 606 let use know.

Post subject: Re: quicker way to make subsonic basslines,
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:50 pm 

Get a Zoom Sampletrak, use low pass filter, resample

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:55 am 

yeah thts what i will use from now one, to tune all your basses with subsonic is irritating, in fact the 606 is really irritating to make beats on, by the time im done making my beat and playing guitar my fingers and bones are so sore from smacking my 606 and playing guitar. it could be modern shaolin finger jab conditioning tho.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:52 am 

another way, a bit different from the st224 bass technique (due to the lack of real pitch on almost all the SPs :evil: -sp808/sp202 got one-), is to resample+isolator+low boost many times: that way you could achive some bass layer without scaling, of course, but it's yet something to start with...
...did you tried the internal synth too? tweak its own parameters, resample the synth+fx, you could be happly surpised...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:52 pm 

yeah i still get all confused turning on and off the effect and resample all the notes and set the mfx pads and all that, when you can just do it external without the finger pain.

about the oscilator pad with fx, this is good too, but again, i loose my vibe as ssooon as i get a little medlody or lead going, gotta stop and resample all the notes , it works all right, but after that you dont wanna stack counter melodies or more 606 synth on it, i think im just being whiney today.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:20 am 

Buy a sampletrak for basslines? Save your cash & learn your 606! Practice your guitar more to grow those callouses. Or get a job in a kitchen with the bots here, nothing numbs the hands to pain like grabbing pans out of ovens or dishpigging for a living.

Firstly make sure your sample HAS a bassline then:
- turn on isolator 2x with low at 12pm & mid+high rolled off to 7pm (as low as possible)
- resample
- resample again with same FX (super-removes the mid+high)
- use EQ to slightly boost the low & drop the mid+high again
- resample
- add gate (mode set to GATE & threshhold low with release up a little) then low boost around 80Hz (or whatever sounds nicest). You need the gate before the low boost for this to work right.
- resample again
- chop the bassline to individual notes.

^this way the bassline's ALWAYS in tune with the sample. You're not affecting pitch anywhere in this, you're simply extracting the low-end. Works nicest if you keep the original sample then resample it without any low end then play 'em back together. That way your new bass notes won't clash with the original bassline.

That workflow's not a definitive method, mess with it so it fits your sample best.

These two tracks used that extract-the-bass technique:
https://soundcloud.com/unfolding-machines/of-mice-munts
https://soundcloud.com/unfolding-machines/perezoso-crucero-feat

Main thing is if your sample doesn't have a proper bassline, you'll never get a good bass sample out of it. Don't forget the synth on MFX44+MFX45 either, they can make some nice bass sounds & if you know the key of the sample you don't need to do any pitch-work.

*edit* Shit, just realised Ellaguru said everything I wanted to without ranting. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:24 am 

cool, ^

i used to do that on my 404 with center canceller to extract bass lines, lots of my sample dont have bass lines, and all my music latley has no bass at all, not even a boom kick ha, just a loud ass mid kick. because i have shifted away from low boom style, to a more classic sounding mid range, but my highs need work now.

A cool trick, but doesn't work all the time is this. if you have a sample or loop, you can try tuning in down 1 octave in the sample track. this will be exactly half speed and 1 octave lower than the sample, hence keeping it in tune, filter that bitch and you got some lows.

about my sore fingers, it's because it gets pretty cold up here in canada, and I used to be a roofer, so i got rock callased fingers, it;s mostly pain from having to aplly 10+ pounds of pressure to make the buttons work. I am ordering a new panel board for the 606 so it will actually be brand new, not some used brand new junker rip off that breaks in a week. anyway i think the bad things almost outweigh the good things on the 606,

makes me miss the 404 workflow and soft cushy pads and nothing to complain about except pitch, resample sequencer and resample+ext.

ha.