It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:41 pm

Post subject: Sequencer troubles
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:12 pm 

So, after owning a 606 a few years ago I recently picked another up from ebay for decent price and i'm pretty happy with it. The 16 pads, two effects at the same time, the mute groups, d-beam etc are all cool but cant seem to tame the sequencer.

I've always used the resample technique to make my beats on the 404 and but always wanted to use the sequencer but could never get it to work for me. Tonight i was trying to make some footwork/juke style beats, is anyone into that stuff round here? 160bpm, 808 drums, mad hihat rolls. Anyway i was trying to play the beats into the sequencer live but it seems like the sequencer cant keep up? Like it sounds like the metronome isn't keeping in time and the display keeps lagging and then catching itself up. I've not gotten too deep into it but is it just cos i'm trying to drop loads of drum hits into the sequencer at a fairly high bpm?

Also, does anyone know if you can copy patterns? I know you can chain patterns to make songs but like say if I had a full beat on pattern 1 and a want another variation on it to make a drop in the song surely I dont have to play the beat into the sequencer exactly the same as the previous pattern just to take the kicks out or something?

Anyone using the 606 for any non hip hop style dance music? Was thinking of getting a Yamaha Rm1x to make some acid style trap/footwork style beats.

http://www.soundcloud.com/winnerstayson

Post subject: Re: Sequencer troubles
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:13 am 

perhaps slow your sequencer down to program complications in your beat.
and then you can speed it back up, I typically avoid aything higher tempos for some reason, its a bad habbit making fast music at half time.

are you using the roll switch for auto drumming, there is no velocity tho,
but you can change timings while drumming, not very usefull live because
its impossible to time out properly while playing, but you can sample them live.

the asr glitches at anything over 100 bpm, I think thats why I avoid it,
if your looking for super sonic drums, why dont you use effects on them and sample them back in as loops.

I am still trying to figure out how to copy patterns, I got a show in a couple days, and Im still a noob, gotta organized a few banks,. and try to move all my patterns into a 'set' so i can scroll thru them live, while playing resample beats inbetween sequencer jam sets.

I mute out the drums and play the auto drums. for the resample beat i just play live drums, I have some blank beats programmed in to play some chops too. so disorganised though, need pen and paper to navigate the banks and patterns.

a cool trick is to type in the title, where the samples are, so you can find them fast. when a pattern is playing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:01 am 

@Dudebrux:
The sequencer often fails to keep up with realtime recording. Try muting all other channels before recording & just go for it. If you've got the right rhythm & tempo in your practice runs just do it on the record. Even though the metronome can't keep up it'll still capture your hits in the right spots.

Besides acid, trap & juke tend to be more 'tight' than hip hop's loose/swung vibe so tapping in the beat might not give the right flavour. Have a crack at step record note. I've used that a whole bunch of times with chopped breakbeats to make IDM & the odd bit of breaks/breakcore back in the day. If you're gonna start messing with different note length increments it's worth learning how they'll fit into the 96ppq resolution. Seeing juke/footwork uses lots of triplets make sure the micro editor has loads of samples playing at 00/32/64 instead of the usual 00/24/48/72.

@Scally:
On the money with using the pattern name to ID the pad bank (I do the same thing) & avoiding the roll button when recording (unless you want a quantized roll).

To copy a pattern:
- at the pattern window (the one with the pattern's name, bpm, measures etc) hit F2
- at the pattern edit window hold FUNC & hit F2 to copy (FUNC+F1 is delete)

To be a pedantic wanker:
A resample beat is when you make the whole song without using the sequencer. You resample your hits onto single pads then either layer them together or simply resample everything down to one pad.

^Not to say you can't blend resamples with the sequencer. Doing that yields great results but it isn't exactly how a resample beat's made/played.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 am 

thanks unfolding, I'm going to organize my patterns tonight. into a set.

I also have a resample beat set, and a shit load of beats on pads if all else fails. want to be prepared, but all my beats' levels are off. so still got a few hours of organizing to do.

I find making resample beats to destructive, they are fun to make, but for perfoming, its more interesting playing, than, just triggering a resample beat.

ha. thanks again.