It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Post subject: USB audio on Linux.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:21 pm 

Aight so I got this working somehow, it lets you sample from the computer
and record the 606 into the computer so no more moving wires. :)

Make sure you have alsa, PNMIXER, jack and ardour.

Then mount your 606 as USB from the 606.
now check your mixer, show sp 606.
Now you can unmount mass storage, and the 606 is a
sound card. Maybe something magic happened, because
last time i tried, nothing worked. Only mass storage.
anyway, this works good.

Attachments:
sp606.png
sp606.png [ 23.07 KiB | Viewed 14662 times ]

Last edited by LO- on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: USB audio on Linux.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:13 am 

Nice dig bruce!The problem is that there is no midi yet but in alsa - project they make some progress especially in Roland devices ,so in few months 606 would be fully supported...you should check some nice distributions such as AVLinux and KXstudio which come with optimized low latency kernels..!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:15 pm 

Latency is no problem with the 606 as a sound module, but i am stuck in a
feedback loop, for example, I can record 1 stereo track into the multi track,
but when I try and record over that with the 606, it's recording everything in the first track + everything else. If anyone knows how to do this without recording the entire audio stream of everything. Let me know, the diagram is kinda complicated for me.

Attachments:
SP-606-USB-AUDIO.gif
SP-606-USB-AUDIO.gif [ 5.23 KiB | Viewed 14647 times ]

Last edited by LO- on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:59 pm 

Do you mean you have both audio and midi working?could you check that please?if so please tell me the distro you use with the kernel version and if 606 vender driver is set to on or off...
As far the feedback loop thing ,one workaround is working mono and assign the channel for playback on left and recording only from the right channel and another workaround is using the onboard soundcard for monitoring...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:16 pm 

aight, so I tryed to get it to identify the 606 midi, but it doesnt do it anymore,
I think I came close in the jack connection kit, when the 606 was default sound module, a new midi popped up, under system. In the audio tab, system is now sp-606. I dont know enough about jack to see if this does anything important for you, my vendor driver is OFF , input sw is ON, and output src is MIX. I didnt mess with midi utilites, ( func + 11 ) but everything looks different and stuff changes around sometimes, but I am on the latest kernel.
64 bit wheezy . I installed terminator X to test this, because I am familiar with setting up midi on that, but nothing would recognize or register, and jack and all those crazy preference screens are way to complicated, when everything is default plug and play, I'm not a Linux expert, but I want to learn jack better, maybe it will let me multi track. Sorry for no news on the midi. I dont want to get anymore packages, so i dont break anything, I dont mind using 2 cards either. As long as i can rip the 606 in digital is good enough for me.

Last edited by LO- on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:05 pm 

Thanks for the info man.I'll let you know in this thread when the 606 would be fully functional (until now only audio is supported on special kernel builds when vender driver is "on". The pros are full 24bit support&96000Hz samplerate but still no midi.)
PS. If you like synths give yoshimi / ZynAddSubFX a shot...The depth of this synth (ZynAddSubFX ported also on Windows as vst) is infinite!.And for drums Hydrogen is the cure!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:01 pm 

hey, with vendor driver on, I think it activates midi somehow, I'm
not shure what happened but i got it, to recognize sp 606 as a midi device.
but the usb sound would not register as a usb interface, I again messed
with jack and tryed connecting the 606 to vst's but could not send midi notes.
maybe if someone knows how to send midi notes, we can get it working, but
like you said the midi isnt supported and I'll probably never get that screen again, and I had no luck sending or receiving notes, and dont feel like
messing with sound card properties like /dev/dsp or dev/audio because I just use default and it all works, even for LIVE internet radio streaming straight from the 606 , but no midi yet, oh well.

Attachments:
606midi.png
606midi.png [ 36.98 KiB | Viewed 14625 times ]

Last edited by LO- on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:03 pm 

Last edited by LO- on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:25 am 

just to let you know, i tried this and it worked. i can use a usb interface for the midi, but my 606 is now an audio interface, i had to set the "Output Src:" to "mix" to get the pads to send audio to my copy of FL Studio i have running in Wine. i also had to tell j.a.c.k. to "force to 16-bit" for the sound to be undistorted. but it works!!! i use the SP-606 with alsa_in/alsa_out so its now an aggregate device with my Xenyx1622.

this is love , thanks!!!

Attachment:
jack.png
jack.png [ 119.68 KiB | Viewed 13932 times ]

Attachment:
2014-02-25 09.09.22.jpg
2014-02-25 09.09.22.jpg [ 141.81 KiB | Viewed 13932 times ]

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

Last edited by mr.thraz on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:36 am 

Whoa , good job man, looks like you have a full understanding of jack and midi, I don't really use Linux for audio anymore, mostly my handheld recorder. I will try again when I get a faster computer, aurdour works real good still at 48 k MAX . So it's almost better using a different soundcard that can handle higher quality sound. Since mostly I'm mixing just a beat with rhymes, 2 tracks, 48 k should be ok, and the sound is unbeatable. So that's what i use it for and audacity.

I have p 606 and other cool programs on my windows computer, so that's where I hang out with music mostly. I try not to overheat my Linux laptop with audio processing, videos bug it up enough as is.

Anyway cool man ! I was going to try and build a ultra light weight ardour/audacity distro , but never got anywhere with it yet. One of these winters, ill try and do something cool like that.

I figured a way to get cool scratches on terminator X . It's triggering samples with the buttons, and using the cross fader for scratching, or using the knobs for scratching, and the buttons for mutes. On the ion discovery.

Last edited by LO- on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:32 pm 

Hi mr.thraz ,nice setup! Which is the distro you rock?
I am on ubuntu 12.04 64bit with the KXStudio Repositories.
Cadence,Claudia etc... are apps (advanced front-ends) everyone MUST try! Although I do miss the kernel of AVLinux (the most rock solid, reminded me the ages of true -RT kernels).

PS.Could you lower the image size a bit?!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:49 am 

korakios wrote:
Hi mr.thraz ,nice setup!

thanks!!

korakios wrote:
Which is the distro you rock?
I am on ubuntu 12.04 64bit with the KXStudio Repositories.
Cadence,Claudia etc... are apps (advanced front-ends) everyone MUST try! Although I do miss the kernel of AVLinux (the most rock solid, reminded me the ages of true -RT kernels).

ubuntu 12.04 64bit with the KXStudio Repositories. it looks funny becausecause i use the dream linux theme, i never got in to avlinux 'cause i really wanted 64bit but i've heard good things

korakios wrote:
PS.Could you lower the image size a bit?!

sure!! how do i do that??

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 am 

AVLinux 6.03 has at last a proper desktop (xfce) environment but it was not easy to get localized packages for my language (libreoffice, iceweasel etch..) plus it's based on old debian squeeze and I am concerned about security issues. I switched to ubuntu LTS ,because I didn't want to dualboot anymore so I put XP on virtualbox if I find trouble in Wine.
The 32bit kernel of AVLinux is PAE meaning it can access all the system memory (>4Giga) but it has the limit that single process is limited to <4Giga so unless you work on video editing ,no problem! I insist on trying AVlinux because it's the only kernel I found to go down to 64 buffer without xruns!
As far for the image you can edit it with gimp and try uploading again.
PS. I recommend subscribing on the ALSA-project and ask about the progress of some Roland devices...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:33 am 

korakios wrote:
AVLinux 6.03 has at last a proper desktop (xfce) environment but it was not easy to get localized packages for my language (libreoffice, iceweasel etch..) plus it's based on old debian squeeze and I am concerned about security issues. I switched to ubuntu LTS ,because I didn't want to dualboot anymore so I put XP on virtualbox if I find trouble in Wine.
The 32bit kernel of AVLinux is PAE meaning it can access all the system memory (>4Giga) but it has the limit that single process is limited to <4Giga so unless you work on video editing ,no problem! I insist on trying AVlinux because it's the only kernel I found to go down to 64 buffer without xruns!
PS. I recommend subscribing on the ALSA-project and ask about the progress of some Roland devices...

korakios wrote:
so unless you work on video editing

yeah, i do want video editing. so....

korakios wrote:

lol you gotta be kidding!! there's no html code to shrink the disply of an attached image????

korakios wrote:
I recommend subscribing on the ALSA-project and ask about the progress of some Roland devices
i already heard about the all_roland_device drivers but i won't switch to av/linux for them, i'll just wait for them to hit the main kernel.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:16 pm 

I think you misunderstood my post. I don't promote avlinux, it was just a suggestion...As i said I'm also on am on ubuntu 12.04 LLTS 64bit with the KXStudio Repositories!
So as far for the alsa-project
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel ,
it has nothing to do with which distro you are.If you don't bug them (and give them some debugging info) they will not help.
Happy sampling :)