It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

Post subject: Sampling
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:17 am 

Hello, where do you find the best sounds to sample?
And a second question is there too, what do you think about sampling only a drum/snare/clap.... and use the sp like an MPC?
cheers

Post subject: Re: Sampling
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 pm 

I sample from anything that makes a sound (vinyl, cassettes, VHS, video games, TV, radio, computer, other instruments etc etc) most of us here generally have a variety of samples we use to make a composition. Sometimes they are small one shot drum hits, chops from a song or even full loops. There's no right or wrong way to use these, just figure out what works for you. Many people here use the sp like an mpc and many people do not. Just have fun with it :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:30 pm 

Hmm, is there a"rule" about how placing the drums to make them sound right?
I know, the art of sampling has no rules, but i'm searching a way to arrange my drums nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:37 pm 

i am losing hope on being able one day to play a track with the 606 -.- it is way to difficult to me without having any basical knowledge, and without anybody explaining me the basics of beatmaking.... but well...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 am 

Chin up, kid! Of course there's a learning curve to making music, think about your favourite producer/beatmaker & really study what they do with their drums etc. Listen to just one album by him/her/them over & over to really learn their sound. Sure the finished songs are half the story, but think about 'if this was made on the SP, how could the song end up like this? What functions were used and how were they used?'

But generally speaking drums kits are panned towards the middle of a song. Might be some panning on specific instruments in the kit (hihats a little to the left, toms a little to the right, kick & snare dead centre). If you're not already, try sampling your drums in mono so you have the option to pan.

Another thing- don't load up too many drums at once. Keep it simple to start with: 1 kick, 1 snare, 1 hihat, 1 looped sample. Play the drums nice & sparse over the sample to get a feel for the rhythm. See what you can do with those then start to diversify.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:21 am 

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ some good info right there ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:22 pm 

Thank you unfolding,
but i'm now trying to get a beat for like a year long... the only thing i got, are some nice drums, and some loops of my favourite songs where i looped small party of the beat... but i can't imagine about how to arrange to to make them sound nicely in the beat itself.
indeed i'm reading the "beattips manual" book, maybe you already heard about it, but there is sooooo much stuff to read, i already got like 200pages, most of them where about hiphop history and equipment. why can't anybody tell my: put your snares on 01:02, 02:02, 03:02, 04:02... hats on 01:04...........
i wish my parents would have send me to music school when i was younger...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:45 pm 

bgreene wrote:
Thank you unfolding,
but i'm now trying to get a beat for like a year long... the only thing i got, are some nice drums, and some loops of my favourite songs where i looped small party of the beat... but i can't imagine about how to arrange to to make them sound nicely in the beat itself.
indeed i'm reading the "beattips manual" book, maybe you already heard about it, but there is sooooo much stuff to read, i already got like 200pages, most of them where about hiphop history and equipment. why can't anybody tell my: put your snares on 01:02, 02:02, 03:02, 04:02... hats on 01:04...........
i wish my parents would have send me to music school when i was younger...

Try this:
pick a 1 to 4 bar beat you like from anywhere, get it on the 606, then just do your best to recreate the beat using your own individual drum hits and samples. Or chop the original loop into the separate drums and sounds, then re assemble it as best you can like the original beat. You can have the original beat playing while you sequence your playing on top of it.
It is how most people learn, not from music school. Emulation and the handing down of tradition is where it is at. You will learn so much just remaking beats you like from other people! Try it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:58 pm 

but.......autotrigger is nice like i recently discovered (recently like 5 mins ago ^^) ;) it always starts where i want him to start... there is a small piece of hope getting back :) to my favourite producers,one of my favs is madlib, i like his raw style, crazy toones, dj shaddow, premier for sure, q-tip.... but while listening to their music i think i can't learn so fast that it would be helpful listening to them as tutorial. they are too good for me, i don't have enough lifetime left to learn what they know to do, so i prefer listening to beginners, and semi-pros. they are closer to my level of musical knowledge.
While i sample loop edit, what the hell are those numbers like 288354, i know they are start and end points, but what does this nr stand for?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:07 am 

Yes well, whatever beat you pick to re create you don't want it to bee to dense with sounds. You mentioned Q-Tip, why not try to recreate the beat from "Push It Along"?

I do not own a 606 but I have an RS7000 and I think those numbers are the samples. Digital recordings all have a bit depth and sample rate. A sample rate is basically how many snippets of audio are grabbed in a second. Higher sample rates produce more samples and sound more like the original. Higher sample rates also make larger file sizes.
I have a device that records at 32kHz sample rate- there are 32,000 samples created per second. It does not reproduce the frequencies as accurately as my 404SX which records at 44.1kHz.
Older sampling machines were 8kHz and 12kHz and so forth I think and the samples created were "lo-fi" lacking in clarity and such.

Not sure about the 606 but on my RS7000 I am able to adjust the increments I can move the start and end points- from 1 sample at a time to 10,000 or 100,000 to make it easier. The number is not really important just that 1 is the beginning and the larger the number the further along the sample you are moving.

Hope that helps-
C

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 am 

I tried sampling different music styles, from folkmusic over pop over to jazz...but never tried sampling hiphop.
But i will try out Push it Along by Q-Tip, i saw him live like 3 weeks ago (performing with ATCQ, and afterwards playing a solo show).
ok, good to know what these numbers stand for, it may help to find back a needed sound. For example the sound to be cut out is in the third second of your sample, so while sample loop edit, you'll be close to your beat if you set the start point to 3 x 44,1khz (1323000) Is that right?
The SP606 has a nice display where you can choose height an time of the soundwave to get to your start/end point. which can be confusing too sometimes, if time value is set to low (at it's lowest point, it only shows like half a sinus per display length)
This display was the reason why i chose the 606. But well, the more functions the machine has, the more difficult it is to be able to master it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:42 am 

I tried sampling different music styles, from folkmusic over pop over to jazz...but never tried sampling hiphop.
But i will try out Push it Along by Q-Tip, i saw him live like 3 weeks ago (performing with ATCQ, and afterwards playing a solo show).
ok, good to know what these numbers stand for, it may help to find back a needed sound. For example the sound to be cut out is in the third second of your sample, so while sample loop edit, you'll be close to your beat if you set the start point to 3 x 44,1khz (1323000) Is that right?
The SP606 has a nice display where you can choose height an time of the soundwave to get to your start/end point. which can be confusing too sometimes, if time value is set to low (at it's lowest point, it only shows like half a sinus per display length)
This display was the reason why i chose the 606. But well, the more functions the machine has, the more difficult it is to be able to master it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:44 am 

upps, sorry for posting 2 times the same, but i can't delete it, please admin, feel free to delete one of the 2 similar posts.
OM_Audio, for sure it helped, every answer to my questions is a big help indeed ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:00 am 

Well that is great you are sampling other music styles- again try to emulate things that are not too dense and keep it short.

"Push It Along" is ATCQ- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRPvKh4JCLg

As for the sample number, yes you are correct 1,323,000 should be a FULL 3 seconds (just before 4 seconds) I think.

I generally ignore it and just adjust how many samples at a time I am moving and just listen. The RS7000 I use has similar zoom in/out and is really great for chopping and making things sound seamless.
The smaller adjustment of 10 or 1 sample at a time is fantastic when you are zoomed in for making final adjustment to eliminate any click. Make the start and end points where the sound wave is crossing the 0dB point.

Here is an article on zero point crossings in sampling:
http://www.hiphopcanada.com/2012/06/5th ... ings-blog/

Oh, and be sure to share your creations with us- don't be shy!

:)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 am 

when it comes to different style sampling, i sometime get a nice loop that does not sound looped, but it takes me like an hour to get it done... and when it is done i can't figure out about how to to use it for my future beat.
(as you mentioned, i already set my crossings to 0dB, but difficulty over there, how to find the same wave for start and end point to make the loop not sound a loop)

then i extract a drum sound out of let's say "smooth criminal" by alien ant farm, reverb and compress it a little bit, but i can't get the drum sound right in the loop i made before...... so that made me angry and i deleted all the stuff on the 606, sampling only a few drums, snares and clapz because of some people giving me the hint, that too much sounds could distract workflow. which seems to be true, 16 drum sounds are a lot, if you take a look at how you can change them using the 3 common filters (reverb, compression, chorus)...

well, i actually would really like to share my productions, but i can't log on to soundcloud anymore (screw you soundcloud!!!!!!!)

cheers