It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 am

Post subject: got a 606
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:54 am 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

it should be here by next week or so, sometime.

so far iv'e ran thru tha, sp 202, 303, 404 ogv1, 505, mc 808, sp 555.

I only got the zoom now, and it works good and everything, but i need to be able to transfer files and store lots of stuff, still going to use the zoom for flavor, because it has the best old school crunch, and I hear the 606 is crunchy to so, now ill be extra crunchy, maybe. I prefer squeaky tho, and I hate little static glitches , so I keep the levels cooler a bit now, and juice up the samples, it gets a little noisy smashing your sounds like that, I prefer no distortion, usnless using it as an effect, I still no nothing about the 606 and since i can almost finally make music properly, this should be a fun adventure with small learning curve. hopefully.

Post subject: Re: got a 606
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:05 pm 

Yeah, the SP606 definitely got an underrated grimey sound.

Listen to this track I did with the 606. I sampled the drums off Daly-Wilson Big Band's "Dirty Feet". I just added some Isolator and Pitch Shift and it bangs to kingdom come.

https://soundcloud.com/#ill-green/rat-d ... -dead-cats

This is the source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eERNNCKBM8g

Enjoy that 606.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:57 pm 

damn wont let me listen to that link you posted, i tryed changiing my browser settings it still goes to some registration page.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:49 pm 

tape smoke wrote:
damn wont let me listen to that link you posted, i tryed changiing my browser settings it still goes to some registration page.

Ah, my bad. Must be the pic of Frankenstein getting a blowjob in Mexico that prevents it.

Try my page, its the first song on top.

www.soundcloud.com/ill-green

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:11 pm 

i like the tone, sounds nice and gritty, almost more dirty then a 404 but maybe a little bit more warm , sounds a little less harsh on the highs as well, I think it has a more plasticy sound compared to 404 has a metallic sound, I'm goin for the rubbery sound, and rich lofi , so a combination of hifi and rich lo fi. going to use it for a mic pre for USB recording. and record beats from the sample track. this will probably make my giant, old tascam obsolete. but the good thing for that, is all the inputs you can record at once.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:45 am 

Most of my stuff's done on the 606, just about always get a clean sound of it. Getting dirt depends on what FX you use & how you layer the samples. Sample something warm & it's gonna stay warm.

The 606 plays WAVs & AIFFs with not extra special coding so your sound quality is entirely up to your workflow. There's no magic to the 606's sound. If you want to change a sample's temperature, that's what the FX are there for.

Ill- that's some bold use of the pitch shift! I've never gone near it.

Tape- I just asked this in another thread seeing your the 2nd person I've seen today who's gone the 606 after a bunch of ther SPs. Any reason for that? Honestly you're not gonna get much out of it you haven't heard/seen/done before, even the 555 has USB audio.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:22 pm 

Thanks Unfoldings!!! Yeah, Pitch is used heavily on any beat I do. MV has it but its not as cool as the SPs psychedelic pitch shift effect. It doesn't have that pitched echo fx.

As for sound of the SPs, I think Roland improved over the 505 when they made the 606. 505 had a slight case of white noise, in where its silent on the 606.

Warm is a good thing though. Grit is what you put in, so you can get it from any sampler really. If you aint grimey fa'real then your beats will be grimey fa'fake.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:35 am 

i was always mostly intrigued about the 606 probably because of it's transformer body. I like the sound of the 555 but some things don't make sense about that one to me. the 606 metranome beep pre pissed me off so I was wondering if you can turn it down, the 606 will also be usefull for storing lots of samples, exporting them to the computer, using it as a usb mic pre for recording vocals and instruments to my computer or tascam recorder. this thing looks like a 505 with a dbeam and a transformer case. sorry cant type good bbad e rgo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 am 

Yeah metronome's a piece of piss to adjust:
Hit MENU, next hit F1
adjust metronome play type & volume.

Always wondered what Roland modelled the weirdo pitch shift on, looks like you nailed it by the Transformers reference there, Tape.

Ill... Damn, now I'm gonna start dumping dirt in my gear to make sure the sampling authorities don't deem me wack.