It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:06 pm

Post subject: p606 software with windows vista
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:30 am 

hello, i'm new to the forums and i've appreciated all of the information people have put up before; has anyone else encountered problems with running the p606 software with vista? i have it installed but when i try and open it it says it cannot connect to the sp606, the hardware is connected and i have the current vista updates! any info would help thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:51 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

It's probably a driver problem. I take it you can't see your device in other programs either because it's not recognized as a MIDI device.

Reinstall the drivers of the SP-606 on your PC, and be sure to not let Windows Vista install any additional 'audio controller' drivers after you restart. I can't check installing on Vista right now as my laptop is gone for repair, but I had the same problem on Windows XP.

Here's my post on how I fixed my problem with XP, perhaps this clarifies things for Vista too, I don't know;
Quote:
Update: I've got P606 to work on my parents PC. At first it didn't work there either, some conflict with a soundcard (audio-Media device).

I've figured out what went wrong though. Basically I needed to install the drivers first without the device attached, after that attach the device.

Windows will off course want to restart which is what you want to do. After that it's about 100% that Windows wants to install a Multi-media audio controller or something like that. Don't install those Windows drivers, but simply cancel. Restart Windows again and it will work.

I've also did what Mike Acosta said to me, switch all MIDI settings inside the SP-606 off at first. My current settings are 'vender driver' to "on", 'input sw on' and output src = input.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:47 pm 

I know there's vista drivers on the Roland site, but maybe they are only for the hardware... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:58 am 

Quote:
I've figured out what went wrong though. Basically I needed to install the drivers first without the device attached, after that attach the device.

I just wanted to try your method to see if it works (Even though I already got me to work) I ran into a problem here. How did you do this? It won't let me install the drivers. Unless I connect to my Sp606 first..

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:22 pm 

Download the vista drivers and extact them.then go to "device manager",switch on the sp606 first..if you see the 'Roland SP-606' in the sound video etc place, right click choose update driver>install from specific location>dont search i will choose the driver to install.You click next>have disk/and simply browse to the folder where the vista drivers are unziped...
If this does not work maybe it's the P606 problem...right click the P606 icon>choose properties and set compability for xp.Then you can try run the programm by right clicking and choosing 'run as administrator' or something like that(I don;t use vista anymore..too much memory wasted!)
Hope you found the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:37 pm 

Thanks.. I will try.. I already got it to work, but I thought I would give it a shot anyways.. I use Xp I agree with you about Vista suckin the life out your memory...

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:06 am 

@Twitch: Did you ever managed to solve the issue? I've ordered a MIDI to USB cable for my SP-606, perhaps that will solve the issues I'm still having on one of my PC's.

As for installing the driver, you can unplug the device the moment the setup starts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:43 pm 

ya i got it to work but when i turn of the sp 606 unit it makes my computer shut down, i'll try reinstalling the driver though and unplugging the unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:52 pm 

Does it restart when you unplug it? Then there's probably somewhere a certain setting you need to change in your computer.

However, it can also be solved by using a different USB port, which is what I would advise to do instead.

I had this problem when I unplugged one of my other USB devices too.

I still can't figure out why the SP-606 won't be recognized as MIDI device, it's driving me nuts. I've ordered a MIDI to USB cable to see if I can get it to work that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:07 am 

sigh.. supposedly, Roland is releasing 64 bit drivers tomorrow..

anybody hear anything ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 pm 

I haven't heard a thing about that... at least not anything 606 specific.

By the way, P606 should run on Vista as well.

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:17 am 

PHeMoX wrote:
I haven't heard a thing about that... at least not anything 606 specific.

By the way, P606 should run on Vista as well.

Rumor was floating around that they were releasing Vista 64-bit drivers after the new year. (1-5-9)

The 606 will run on 32-bit Vista with the new(er) drivers. But, there is no support for Vista 64-bit.

I do believe if you use a USB/MIDI controller interface the included P606 software won't recognize the SP606 because of the generic driver. I've also tried not loading the vender driver from the SP606. Still no go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:09 pm 

Quote:
ya i got it to work but when i turn of the sp 606 unit it makes my computer shut down, i'll try reinstalling the driver though and unplugging the unit.

That's caused by a setting of the USB port you are using, in your PC's BIOS you need to change 'boot on USB' or something similar to something else. I don't know what kind of PC you've got, but the easiest fix is simply using a different USB port. No need to fiddle in the BIOS in that case, just plug in something you'll never turn of, like a printer if you've got one or leave it empty.

It's likely that other devices on that particular USB port will cause you PC to boot whenever you unplug or switch them off also.

Quote:
The 606 will run on 32-bit Vista with the new(er) drivers. But, there is no support for Vista 64-bit.

I do believe if you use a USB/MIDI controller interface the included P606 software won't recognize the SP606 because of the generic driver. I've also tried not loading the vender driver from the SP606. Still no go.

But are you using Vista 32bits? If not and you're using XP having issues running P606, the fix is easy. You will need to get rid of some USB profiles in your registry.

Search the 606 area of this forum, I've posted about the solution somewhere (came from another forum member actually! Apparently Windows XP can't handle over 10 USB profiles.). Or let me know if you can't find it.

If you are using Vista though, then I'm not sure if the issue is the same.

www.myspace.com/phemox