It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:59 pm

Post subject: sampling from jack to digital in
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm 

Hello again folks,
well i wanted now to try out sampling a little bit more since i know slightly how to handle my sp606. Sampling analog through the Jack in's works fine, but as today most musical equipment has 3,5mm jacks in digital quality.
how can i now use my "digital In" on my SP, because i don't find a matching cable to this input, and i don't know how the connections need to be made, otherwise, i could solder one on my own.
greetings

Post subject: Re: sampling from jack to digital in
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 pm 

What equipment are you trying to connect to 606?If they have a digital "RCA" output simply plug it via an RCA cable to 606 digital in... :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 pm 

It has a 3.5mm jack out, digital in 24-bit... Well i' talking about an iPhone, or a Laptop... Can i use my SP's digital in this way? Or where can i use this "digital IN" for instead?
Greetz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 am 

My thought was to sample my iphone's jack output to my SP. it would have made it easier as copying by usb cable, or unplug my turntables from the mixer, make space for the SP and replug turntables to it. I don't know if i even can use the digital in for sampling. No clue where to use it for ^^

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 am 

I don't know about iphones but generally speaking if a device does not have an output named as "digital" or "SPDIF" output you can't use the digital in of 606.But for the laptop you can use the usb.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:10 am 

You talking about the Digital In and Out on the 606? Yeah, those were old school digital cables. Two types of digital cables back then; coaxial which is what we 606 owners got and then there's optic aka SPDIF. Don't own too many coaxial friendly devices, just the TV...

Coaxial, say it, coaxial. Now, don't you hate that fucking word? Kinda makes one glad that they no longer exist.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:37 pm 

Yes, exactly. So that means this in/out is nearly useless? Or could i maybe solder a cable on my own? I only need to know where to find the signal and GND on the connector? Isn't it a male cinch, because if i remember well, i once tries if cinch would fit on it.
What kind of signal gets out of this? Digital in 12bit?
Thank you for taking your time to answer my strange questions ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:01 pm 

you can only connect a digital to digital. It won't work connecting analogue to digital.

Your iphone only has an analogue output in 3.5mm jack. Just connect it to the analogue inputs of the sp606. You would need a A/D converter to first convert your iphone analogue out to a digital signal to then connect to the digital in of the sp.

They got rid of the coax for the better optical system. you will sometimes find other gear with coax. My soundcard has it, so I could send audio digitally from my 606 to the soundcard without going to analogue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 pm 

The 606 is [email protected] on digital and analog so no 12 bit magic there. Digital is the most cleanest and precise signal you can get from any device. 3.5mm jacks are not digital, its just capable of sending audio and video but in analog format.

But hey, it has full streaming USB. Perhaps you can use the 606 as an audio interface for your iPad. All you would need is the USB cable that connects from the iPad to the 606. I know there are no drivers for iPad, but I think its usable as an audio interface without the drivers. The 606 can sample and add effects from the USB like the 1/4" Inputs.

P.S. I never tried it. But worth a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 pm 

Hello, ah ok, i thought iPhone would give out digital signal, i did not know that jacks can only provide analog signal. unfortunately i don't own an iPad, only iPhone and a Macbook Pro, i think for me an ipad would not make sense.
thank you for all the information. so, finally, the SP's digital in/out is useless? or does it make a difference in sound quality? i could connect digital in/out to my mixers line in, no?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 pm 

bgreene wrote:
....i could connect digital in/out to my mixers line in, no?

preqwal wrote:
you can only connect a digital to digital. It won't work connecting analogue to digital.......

Like preqwal said : no!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:28 am 

NO!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:17 pm 

Thank you very much for the suggestion to use a simple RCA/SPDIF converter that costs about 30€..........

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:35 pm 

The 606 can process internally at 24 bit. I found this out by accident one day with a 24/44.1 Pro Tools session I had routed through the 606 via the digital jacks.
To get clean audio into the 606, I often use my DBX386, which has analog ins and a digital out.
I have two 606s, one I just use as an effects send/return- and since I prefer to record at 24bit, this discovery was great.
I never use the card transfer method to get sounds in any more- too slow.. Plus with sampling you can choose (in menu-settings) long mode to degrade the quality a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:27 pm 

the 606 has SOOOO many functions, they can all be known exactly by everyone, that's the reason god gave us forums such as this, to ask and share knowledge ;)
i only have one SP606, serving as turntable amplifier ^^ i like listening to vinyl records and adding some salt'n'pepper ;)