It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 pm

Post subject: Roland SP-606 as midi-sequencer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:47 pm 

Finally searching my way back on the Roland SP train – past I had a Roland SP-404sx, this was a very brilliant tool, but I sold it past because I didn’t like the lack of midi-out. Over the years I have been trying different midi-sequencer example Akai MPC-60, MPC-500, MPC-1000, Ensoniq ASR-X, Roland Mc-50, Korg SQD1 but I never felt comfortable with any of these models.

I looked up this Roland SP-606 and it looked very nice with this piano-roll look like thing, that you can work-out from pc – but I have a few questions before I actually take the jump.
1. Can I make my sequencer tracks from PC (with the editor) and save them on Roland SP-606 and use Roland SP-606 standalone without pc?
2. Can I set midi-channels for each sequencer track for controlling different synth devices – if yes, how many?
3. Can I send out midi-clock from Roland Sp-606?
4. Should I wait with buying this unit – maybe something exciting news from Roland is coming in 2013?

Kind regards
Gravedraq

Post subject: Re: Roland SP-606 as midi-sequencer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:06 am 

hi
the samplers /sequencers you cited are more better and complete than the 606s one.
however, the point 3 is possible while the 1 is "half possible": you have to record the midi sequences as you 'd record samples (there is a possibility on doing that, look at he sampling button: there is marked also "ext seq sampling"). you can also use the 606 as standalone. in my opinion it works better with a pc (it lacks of real pitch and a software do the job; it is also a soundcard and you can sample directly via usb if you want).
for points 2: as i said above, the other sequencers are better than this unit.
point 4: who knows? honestly i think that -historically speaking- it's hard for a company to sort out something new in the market, seen that this period is very confusing (the tablets, the softwares, midi/usb controlers...too much things against hardwares...); roland had this product (the 606) wich was pioneeristic at the time (think about NI maschine): a soundcard/sampler/fx box all in once...but they didn't developped it enough (it had not even win7 x64 drivers still...)

Post subject: Re: Roland SP-606 as midi-sequencer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:00 am 

2nd what Ellaguru said. Mostly.

The 'external sequence sampling' function is a little misleading. This is used for sampling phrases from other midi equipment. You set the duration (as a number of quarter notes) of the sample recording. When you hit record, the SP-606 sequencer sends midi out 'play' data & records the audio in at the same time. Then it stops at the end of the phrase & the sample is immidiately set to play as a loop. It's a great way of resampling other groove boxes & DAWs, I use it all the time with my synth-sequencer combo. It does not allow you to sequence external devices. The most the SP-606 can do in this regard is act as a master clock.

The piano roll pitched playback is only available by using the P-606 program. Standalone the 606 has no pitch. Some hate that, personally I don't mind. I don't like P-606 so whenever I use the SP-606 with a computer I use it with Audacity, Recycle or Reason. You can use the SP-606 as a soundcard independent of anything else in your computer. Provided you're running a 32bit OS. If you've gone 64bit the SP-606 soundcard is obsolete.

Honestly a lot of what you've asked about seems to be covered with the NI Maschine. It really is a big brother of the SP-606. The only real advantage of the SP-606 is that it is a standalone device whereas the Maschine needs a PC/Mac to run. Which depending on your approach to producing is either a game changer (+) or deal breaker (-).

Seeing you're also after synth & external sequence, don't forget the ESX. Like the SP-606 its kinda limited (2x monotimbral studio sampler patches, only 2x stereo sample patches, only 2x mute groups). But it is incredibly fast to use when you understand it & the motion sequencer for dial parameters is unique. With the right knowledge you can use it almost like a tape player.

Don't start me on the OP-1... That little beast is something I need to spend more time with, but I know that thing's gonna change me forever. Its like the chest lion of Voltron in the portable synth/sampler world.

Despite its flaws I still love the SP-606. The external resample is super handy, the soundcard makes a big difference with PC sampling (+ USB backups, even though its a bit slow at that). The playback is loud (but not quite not Korg Electribe tube amplifier LOUD). Like the later SPs the effects are great for resampling & sound mangling.

Treat the SP-606 as a workaround machine. Something that makes you think about 'how' and 'why' you produce in a certain manner, unlike a DAW it doesn't give you easy answers. Come at it like this and you may find this super useful & fun to use.

But then again considering what you've used before I don't know if you'll ever find something you'll like. Seriously you're the only person I've read online that's used an ASR-X & not loved (at least liked) it. Let alone not feeling an MPC-60? Sure it's limited, but for what it is (an old sampler) it is supposed to be a classic. There's a good reason why the MPC series is so well loved. Do you know what you want from a sampler and its workflow?

Don't expect a new SP any time soon. Sales of the SP-404SX seem to have been strong enough that Roland's found their niche with it. Plus the SP-555 is still in production.

Sorry for the essay! :mrgreen: