It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:37 am

Post subject: Compact Flash card ("quick'n'dirty")
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:21 pm 

Hello,

There's an SP-606 upcoming, and an official 512 MB Roland CF card as well, but that card may take some more delivery time.

I was wondering how critical the SP-606 is w.r.t. the brand/model of the CF cards?

Would it make sense to buy any CF-card nearby to test for the time being, or would that most likely not work ? I've seen the list of cards in the Roland manual, but can't find these.

Also wondering if cards need to be 512 MB or smaller (so could over 512 MB just work, but the part above 512 simply ignored ?), but IIRC that has been addressed here elsewhere.

Thanks !

Post subject: Re: Compact Flash card ("quick'n'dirty")
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:23 pm 

Yeah, it has to be 512MB or lower. Cards by Toshiba, Kingston, PNY and SanDisk all work well for me. They sell them for cheap now so grab them while its hot. Japan still sells them and Amazon.com had some last I checked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 pm 

Thanks, just found an 256MB Sandisk Ultra II that can be here in a few days (quicker than the upcoming 'official' Roland 512).

SP-606 manual states 'ultra series', so guessing that this holds for the 'II' as well.

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:11 pm 

I think every card with 512mb or less is working, I even used an industrial CF card made by Allen&Bradley ;) You only need to switch off your machine, insert the card, format it (Func + Card Utility), than shutdown to be sure every data is saved correctly. Restart the machine and the CF is ready to use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 pm 

Thanks, got another card in the mail (SanDisk Ultra II 256 MB) & it also seems to work fine (but is on the tested by Roland list). Good to hear it's worthwhile to pick up about any CF-card.

I do have some glitches though when playing 3 (or tryingbut failing to play 4) stereo samples, maybe that's just the SP-606 - or - perhaps there's some difference between cards in this respect. I hope so, because, well 6 is not really maxing out polyphony- and the behaviour is ... welll, actually in line with the other complaints about the limited amount of polyphony, let me not spoil this thread with that...