It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 pm

Post subject: weird midi in issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:44 pm 

Hi,

Just started playing with my newly acquired 606 and found a strange quirk. I can record pad performances from a midi keyboard fine when the base channel is set to channel 1. As soon as I change the midi base channel, the midi keyboard still triggers the pads as expected, but it doesn't record them as working pad hits.

When I inspect them in the microscope editor, it show (c#4) and all other notes as notes in brackets, as opposed to pad hits.

When it does work on base channel 1, the hits are converted to show the pad it is triggering.

Can anyone verify this and maybe suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject: Re: weird midi in issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:40 pm 

(If I remember correct...)you could mess with the Pad Tx Mode(TYPE1 or TYPE2).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:34 pm 

Yeah I've tried both. I have the manual and have read it cover to cover. It seems like an os bug. Hope i am wrong. Regardless there are other ways to skin a cat. I am thinking of using a midi processor to channelise the notes back to channel one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:24 am 

done some more experiments. The sequencer can only record pad hits on channels 1-8.

If you set the base channel to 9 and play on channel 16, you will hear the pads, but they will not be recorded in a useful way.

If you play on channel 8 (still with the base channel on 9) you can record pad hits, but you don't hear them until the pattern loops around. The pads are still listening and playable on ch16.

In summary, the base channel setting in midi util only serves as an offset to let you trigger, but not record pads on channels 9-16.

Still not sure if it will midi back out these orphaned notes via a cable but there you go.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 pm 

Lets take it step by step!
Could you post an example of which banks you want to trigger /(and) record in the sequencer?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:20 pm 

Hi korakios,

I'm fairly sure it can't be done. This is what I am trying to achieve. I have a yamaha keyboard that has a little drum sequencer that transmits on ch16. I can use the sequencer to play pads on the sp606.

The only way to get the 606 to respond to channel 16 is to set the base channel to 9.

Then as i would expect, the keyboard plays the pads (i think it works out as banks 29+30). I thought that was the job, but when i put it in record i found that no pad hits were recorded. It only managed to record the notes in brackets, but not associate them with a pad.

Setting the transmit channel to 8 allows pads to be recorded, but not triggered, i.e the hits get recorded in the loop but you can't hear them being triggered until it loops back around.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:53 pm 

Man I no longer have the 606 ,so I can't help you much!I find it strange that on "Pad Tx Mode TYPE2" you can trigger the samples but the sequencer does not record the performance.....I never had any issue :?