It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

Post subject: How to set program to mute?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:52 pm 

Found this on another thread, just a quick question

Teewok wrote:
The best feature of the 606 (in my opinion) is the fact that it has mute groups and u can have pads cut eachother off. Because of this I never have to worry about end points and I save a lot of time when making beats. No other sp's got that - even on the mpc2000xl u can only have 3 pads to one groups=not enough.

How do you make the pads cut each other off? I loved that function on my MPC1000, is this the same thing? Where you hit a pad and it cuts out any other playing pad in the program? On the MPC1000 it's setting the whole program to mute.

I'm really gettin into my sp606, I'd love to be able to do that, can't find out how in the manual.

Post subject: Re: How to set program to mute?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:10 pm 

hi man
wellcome
go to page 50 on the manual, everything it's inside and it's really easy t o do that
anyway if i remember well it's just FUNC+pad13 and there you got a menu with everything you need.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:04 am 

Thanks! I figured it out.

In case anyone else is wondering, you hit FUNC + SAMPLE PARAM (pad 13), scroll down to "Mute Group" and for each sample you want to cut out each other you use the same number ie. group. Pretty simple actually, sometimes its just knowing where to look.

Its funny I've had this thing sittin around for months, I got a really good deal on it ($300 brand new in the box) so I figured I'd get it but I never really gave it a good spin. But I was workin on my MPC2000xl and getting kinda bored on it so I thought I'd give it a whirl finally. And I'm having a blast on it. Its just fun to use. But the 4 tracks are gonna take a little getting used to, especially when I'm coming from an MPC, where you'll never run out of tracks. Man, if they only put 8 tracks on here, that's really the most you'd ever need.

What do you guys usually do, just play more than one pad part on each track (ie. kicks, snares and hihats all on one track), or do you resample tracks down?

I guess if you copy the pattern then resample tracks down you could always go back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 pm 

yes the 606 (and the 505) are limited in the number of mute/unmute tracks expecially for live situations, i agree. but as you said resampling could get (a little) help.
personally i tend to use 1 track (or 2) for dums and the rest is for mute/unmute pads and nonsenses like that. but it's not enough :) (i have an mpc1000 too, so you understand)...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:26 pm 

there is 4 mute groups, I usually do this with bass, set all the basses to the same mute group. now they don't over lap and make that ticking sound the would otherwise make from turn the sample off at a non zero crossing. that little tick click that is annoying. works good with a resampled subsonic bass.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:06 am 

^Is that a typo? The 606 has 8 mute groups.

Never had an issue with getting a click sound when using the mutes on melodic/tonal samples. But I can imagine how you'd get that sound if you're sequencing in a significantly different tempo to the one your bass samples come from.

Try altering/increasing the sequencer's BPM in 0.1 increments as the pattern plays. This should help trim off the annoying click. That or you could just trim your samples in Func+14 to the zero crossing at the correct note lengths.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:58 am 

oops wow, it has 8, i always thought 4 for some reason. jeesh sorry.

anyway when you gate a subsonic bass it sometimes clicks at the end.

the 202 is notorius for this, maybe not on battery power ?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:09 am 

Ah no worries! Looks like you just doubled your amount of muting!

Don't know about the 202 & sample clicking, never used one let alone touched one. However my 2 606s sometimes add a click to the sample's start after truncating. It's a temporary thing, a restart always gets rid of it.