It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am

Post subject: Triggering the SP-505 by MIDI
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:13 am 

Hi there, I'm fairly new to using drum machines/keyboards in a live set up and I'm having problems with midi implementation.

My band use a Roland SP-505 as our main rhythm and sample unit, along with three keyboards, an Alesis Micron, Micro Korg and Yamaham CS1x. We use a midi sync signal succesffully between all of our machines to make sure we are all at the same tempo.

However we've never managed to be able to trigger one machine with another, so we can start songs or parts in time. What I really want to be able to do is use my keyboard (Alesis), to trigger the SP-505 to begin playing a song (in song mode), or vice-versa, for the SP-505 to trigger my keyboard to begin playing a part at the same time as it begins playing a song.

I know that this will depend on the capabilities of each machine, so I've read the manual of both the SP-505 and the Alesis over and over again but i don't seem to be able to get my head around it. Is this possible? Both manuals contain a 'Midi Implementation' section, but i'm just finding it hard to understand. I have managed to trigger one pad on the SP-505 from the keys on my keyboard but that's it, and no matter what changes i make that's about all i can make happen.

Can anybody help me? or offer any suggestions where i might be able to get help?

Post subject: Re: Triggering the SP-505 by MIDI
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:24 pm 

Hello.. I just got an SP-505 last night, and I do not own a Micron, but I can still help you; you will have to bear with me..

First, the Micron's MIDI clock default settings are "off". You have to go into the MIDI menu to find the MIDI clock settings (I am not sure where; search for MIDI clock in the index of your manual) and switch to "gen MIDI clk", which means "generate MIDI clock". This will cause the Micron to send a start message when you start the step sequencer.

EDIT: After reading the Micron manual online, it seems that the MIcron does not have a very comprehensive sequencer, and does not send MIDI start information. I would consider using the SP-505 as the master MIDI clock and slaving the Micron (and the Korg and the Yamaha) to it. You need to go into the same MIDI clock menu on the Micron and set it to "ext MIDI clock". Then, make sure you have the SP-505 set to send MIDI clock and you will be straight. Hit the start button on the SP and everything should start together.

Post subject: Re: Triggering the SP-505 by MIDI
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:38 pm 

OK.. On the SP-505 you press "System", then F1 "utility", then F2 "MIDI". Cursor down to "sync mode" and scroll to "auto". This will send MIDI clock info *and* receive MIDI clock info, depending on how you set things up. To make the SP the master clock, make sure you run a cable from the MIDI *out* to the *ins* on the other devices.