It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:55 am

Post subject: SP-505 recording midi in
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:12 am 

I've got my SP-505 hooked up to my computer via midi and figured out how to control the playing of the SP-505 samples using FL Studio on my PC.

I thought i'd try to use Fl Studio to program up the sequences then record them down to the SP-505.

But one thing i haven't been able to work out is how to get the SP-505 to record the midi commands from the PC.

The SP-505 will play along with the sequences programmed into FL Studio. When i set the SP-505 to record, it plays what is programmed in FL Studio. But when i play the recorded pattern back theres nothing in it.

Is the SP-505 not capable of recording midi commands from its midi in port? Or is there a setting I'm missing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:46 am 

I'm fairly sure you are correct. The SP-505 doesn't have a proper MIDI sequencer so you can pretty much only record a pattern sequence with the pads and not MIDI notes. I could be wrong, it has been awhile since i owned the 505.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:05 am 

The 'external sequence capture' of the 606 is the tool for this kind of thing; unfortunately the 606 is the only sp with this feature..

To work around the problem, you could just write down the sequence and re-program it into the 505. A bit time-consuming, but an effective workaround nonetheless.

I would've never known how useful the EXT SEQ function is until I found myself using it all the time :P