It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

Post subject: Got my SP-505 today...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:41 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

sup everyone,

I finally got my new toy - the sp 505 from a good person nicknamed dj bronwyn.

It is very very good unit. I really like it's like 0:36 am here and I am still sitting playing around with tho I have to go to job tomorrow.

I really dont need any feature from 606 because it is all here. I came from pc tracker production so basically this is a hardware modplug tracker I used before.

The only area it could be better is the polyphony. But as I also have the 404 i sample my drum loops created on the 505 into 404 and then record them back into 505 thats why I have lots of voices left and this leaves me with old and gritty sounding drum loops that I can control the oldschool way mute and unmute in my songs.

More to come, just wanted to share my current experience...

p.s. As I am a person who learns quite fast I guess you shouldn't wait too long for a deep video on how do beats using SP505. (for those who dont know I created full featured video about beatmaking on the 404)

Cheers,
Olby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:04 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

So yeah screw da fuckin' job its 505 time...

Here ya go all this is officially my first beat made using only 505 no lame computer stuff (only to record it into an mp3) even vocals where recorded and added on the 505.

Funkdoobiest - Dedicated (1 verse remix)

Sorry for the low quality but it is 01:00 Am already here and I am quite sleepy so there must be some overdrive but fuck it anyways. Yeah... more to come again.

Cheers,
Olby

Attachments:
File comment: Funkdoobiest - Dedicated (1 verse remix) by Olby using only SP-505.
my-first-505-beat-(funkdoobiest-remix).mp3 [978.94 KiB]
Downloaded 619 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:14 pm 

No lame computer stuff? You do realise the 505 thinks in 0s and 1s...

The noise is most likely RCA noise (sounds like it) - very hard to avoid; but if raw hip-hop's your thing it shouldn't matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:30 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

Course I do, I meant no more computer production.

I came from Reason, Adobe Audition and Fruity Loops and if after using all of these soft tools I went down to 505 then I know what I am saying.

And that noise is vinyl because I use only good screened rca's even on 505 this sounds the same. only on pc I recorded with the volume a bit more than the peak level is so that does add a bit of overdrive fx.

As everyone else on these forums limits that my samplers put me in are what increases my beat creativity and keep my time spent interestingly.

Give an untalented sucker a FL Studio and he will make still something decent but give him an MPC or even 505 and he will struggle and make nothing remarkable.

Thats my point of view. At least when listening to beats made on PC and on hardware I hear a lot of differences and I like them.

Cheers,
Olby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:10 am 

A good screened rca is still an rca - it's impossible to have a noise-free rca; that's why I avoid them if at all possible. I don't understand why Roland put rca connections on 'pro' equipment...must be becuase they are making these units for club DJs only and people insist on using them to make tunes :shock:

The 20bit converters could have something to do with it too - 24bit or 32 bit would be cleaner.

Nevertheless, your beat was nice (I don't like hip-hop generally but from a technical point of view the structure/range was good). Keep up the good work and fill up this section of the forum - it sure needs someone to give it the love :wink: