It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 am

Post subject: Sp 505 or MPC 2000?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 pm 

I always wanted a 2000, so I wondering what were (if any) major advantages of having one over a sp505/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:01 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I'm thinking performance wise the 2000 might be slower, but I don't think the two are comparable.

I'd suggest to take a look at some of those YouTube movies.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:24 am 

Well i know that some of my favorite producers have use the ARS10 and the MPC 60. I never could afford the MPC back in the day, but now the 2000 and 2000xl are within reach, but they are pretty old machines and i was thinking the lower price of technology has caught up.

Post subject: what i would get sp 505 or 2000xl
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:33 am 

an mv 8000 used all the way there the same price as an mpc 2000 xl and can do twice as much plus you get more bang for the buck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:31 am 
MV Award Winner '09

yo buttafingaz,

505 does not have ole skool pitch shifting which will both lower the pitch and tempo it only allows you to lower the pitch but the sound retains the same speed. so thats the only thing you would hugely miss on 505. on 2000 on the other side (not speaking about xl) it does not have timestretch as far as I remember and no fx's so 505 will give you a complete package. There is even a auto chop which will chop up your samples automatically but you can do it also manually. On 2000 there is only the manual way to do it. Also the 2000 has more tracks where 505 has only 4 tracks, but actually that was not a problem for me as I used them four tracks like this: track 1 - drums, track 2 - bass, track 3 - samples, track 4 - percussion and additional samples. This way there is no problem doing it nicely.

hope you get the overall image. these are the things just off the top of my head so i might miss something.

but yeah, if ya get to see mv 8000/8800 cheap then grab and dont look back it should fit all your production needs besides you can record vocals directly on your tracks and shit so this is win win situation anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:07 am 

I'd much rather have an SP505 over a MPC2000.

An MPC2000XL, however, is a completely different matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:15 pm 

Well I wish I hard more control of the pitch, but for the price looks like it can't beat the sp 505.
For some reason when I use the pitch function, the sound gets distorted, (even the internal sounds).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:41 pm 

When I pitch samples,sometimes it does that.
What I do is copy my selections with the clipboard and change them to single.

Post subject: Re: Sp 505 or MPC 2000?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:27 am 

the sp-505 is more fun than any MPC IMO. the MPCs are more professional in general, with the ability to have a ton of tracks, big polyphony, multiple outputs, etc. if you want to do real polished shit get the MPC, if you're into grime/lo-fi the 505 is excellent and better than the 2000 for this vibe. the 2000 is a very clean/transparent sampler. also the 2000 doesn't have effects built in, it's an expansion.

Post subject: Re: Sp 505 or MPC 2000?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 am 

If you can somehow fit in your budget, get both! As much as I love the sp505, let's face it, there's things it can't do that the mpc2k can.

Multiple Outputs-Handy if you have guitar pedals, rackmount compressors, fx, eq, etc that you can route into your mixer/audio interface.

SCSI/Zip/HD/CD-rom options. You're not limited to 128mb smart media cards for storage of your samples.

Better midi/sequencing-Nothing wrong with the one you get with the 505, but it's just not as good as a MPC2k...

Those are just a few reasons I can think of that the mpc2k would be a better choice in some aspects. However, you're going to have to invest more cash into your mpc if you want the effects card, and the multi-outs. Not to mention any of the SCSI options. If you're on eBay, and the seller hooks you up with any extras, then it's a better buy than just a mpc that you'll have to fine tune and spend a few hundred to really get the most out of it.

The 505 has more effects ready to go than the mpc2k does. I won't go so far as to say they're better, because you have to decide with your ears if you like them or not. Sometimes the effects just make your sample sound worse when you're using the wrong settings, but hey, maybe you can use a sp505 in a industrial band or something??

505's are sometimes cheap, so like I said, try to get both. Might take you a bit to learn both inside/out, but at least it'll be dead simple to use them if you're just starting out.