It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

Post subject: bass sounds?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:54 am 

I've pitched the pre-programmed bass sounds and they are a little ragged (I have read the pitching post).

I was was wondering where you guys get your bass sounds from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:14 am 

i make mine from whatever im sampling.

edit: here's what I do... I don't use the pitch functions much. I'll take a nice funky loop... and do 1 of 2 things. Use the filter and make it grimey... and chop that. Or use the "center canceler"... resample.... repeat process... chop.. play.

Even taking the loop you are using (if you are using a loop, i 9/10 chop everything) resampling it, and layering it over the original can add depth to it.

This is probably common knowledge, or maybe not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:08 am 
505 Award Winner '09

i agree on 'ragged'.

i've sampled an octave of bass into one of the permanent banks...i think i got them from an old drum machine. but i've done the ^^ octave thing with keys sounds from an mc 505.

i also just sample bass phrases and chop em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:17 pm 

This is LOW. END. THEORY.

which is what dude was getting at the the center cancel. just resample as much as you need to with mfx to freak that bass while getting rid of the higher freqs. Chop that. By the way, if you're taking the bass from your main loop (i.e. the same loop you'll use un-filtered for melody and hits or what not) then make sure to filter out the very low frequencies from your main loop. otherwise all those bass tones will be fighting to the death and make your sh*t sound muddy.

By the way. You can use this method of filtering for ANYTHING with low frequencies, not just typical bass sounds. Try filtering out a big-ass horn line with a little punch in the bottom (you hear a LOT of bass derived from sampled horns in that 93-era ish like de la and tribe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:18 pm 

i find that when i take the bass out using c cancler, isolator, or whatever, it almost sounds to deep and loses some of the slap and play of the strings, and that if i take the bass out of the original that it sounds wimpy as fuck, so i try to keep the bass and EQ it down just slighly if i have to, cause then you still get all the mid and high frequencies that contribute to the bassline too (its not all 250 and below, although alot of that deep sound is), when you do it that way though, you gotta make sure your happy with the mark points, and if you change em, you gotta do the same amount on each sample

i also have a 404 and not a 505, so the effects algorithms might be slightly different, i heard a few things about the 303 cmopared to the 404, like that the filter of the 404 had a shitty sweep on it compared to the 303, so maybe the older 505 is better at taking those basslines out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:47 pm 

the 505s effects processor is the same as the 303s.