It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

Post subject: do i want a 505?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:46 am 

so i am pretty handy with a 303 and 404 but i just started checking out 505 videos and i like the idea of having a sampler thats not like the rows of pads groovebox style

i guess what i am asking is

-is it easy to understand how to use a 505 if i am good with a 303 and 404

-can a 505 give me anything that my other two samplers can't

-general concerns or perks with the 505

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:15 am 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

its pretty much the same thing, but with more samples and a screen,

there is a little bit of a learning curve, before you can work smoothly without a manual, but you wont need a manual,

im not shure why people hype up the keyboard pitch shifting, cause you can do the same thing with a 303 404 by ear.

the wav editor is awesome, the chop function is kinda waste of time.

the wheel is awesome, yea id say grab one. but keep your other sp for bouncing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:16 am 

i rather like the chop function. it's one the best i've seen. but the pitching isn't all that; and i guess some can do it by ear with the 303/404 but i know i can't, i ain't got it like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:16 am 

I love mine. I haven't used a 303/404, but after a few questions in here some months back, I was rockin' the pads pretty decent.

I never use the pitch function, I did when I first got it, but haven't really needed to use it (much anyway) since. I usually just use the pitch adjust fx. Unless I want to pitch out a piano key into a whole octave etc.

I got mine used, on ebay for 225 with a 64mb card.

IT was a little more beat up than I would have liked, and the rca's are starting to cut out, but as much as I've used this thing, I'd say it was worth it, and I would probably buy another when this one craps out.

I'm not lookin to trade but if you are interested in getting rid of your 303/404 get at me.

Also if you have any questions once you get your hands on one, feel free to pm me, I'm not a pro but I've gone through a lot of the learning woes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:15 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

i think you DO want one, yes. in fact, i think all sp-heads do.

i just got mine a coupla weeks ago, and am cranking stuff out (well, by my standards). i am using it instead of my mpc1000, just because it feels like an instrument, not a computer. the mpc is a more robust box, but the 505 feels creative. that's key.

i think with all these boxes (and i have a BUNCH of hardware samplers now), it really just comes down to how yr workflow goes.

my feeling is that the 505's four-track sequencer, the pitch function (either by mfx pitch adjust, or pitch bank), the 808-layout of the pads, and even the pads themselves (which i love) set this sp- apart from the rest.

i'm really surprised by how much i love it, but i do. and i'm a BIG fan of my 404.

there are drawbacks (cards are hard to find, audio is lower quality, pitch function while better than other sp's, is not as sophisticated as other boxes - such as an mpc), and a plastic case (dudes, seriously?), but i think it is a QUALITY sampler and i've really enjoyed working with it. really slept on.

again, a couple of weex in but i fink, within its limitations, the 505 totally rules.

hope that helps, mans.