It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:46 am

Post subject: pitching on 505
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:01 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

hey dudes - i have questions about pitching on the 505.

oh - i'll start by saying i got a 505 last night. stoked!

but the way the pitching works confuses me. when i watch olby's (awesome) videos, he maps stuff across the 16 pads, and it seems to sound good.

when i do it, it's really full of artifacts...sort of a lo-fi warbling sound. especially as you go up the scale. put a series of mapped bass notes under a beat and there's oscillation craziness.

is that just the reality? or is this cuz i was using "long" settings rather than "standard"? is there a best-practice? (ie: suuuper short samples? sine waves?)

also, there seems to be four dif ways to pitch. the mapping technique above, the 'pitch shifter', the 'chromatic ps', and the 'octave' fx.

which do you use to morph samples into key?

thx for the help. so far i love the box, but i gotta get some usable sounds outta the pitch functions....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:58 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

That's just how it works. It uses time stretching to do this so basically you will never get same tonal characteristics like other samplers that do ol' school pitch shifting.

Just remember to always use MUSIC preset to do pitch shifting as to my memory it gave the best results for general pitch shift.

As for the sampling mode it does not matter... I used only LONG mode on all of my beats.

Just check this old beat here. It uses pitch shifting on the main sample and the quality is acceptable.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5916960&q=hi

Simply put it like this - it all depends on the sample you put in. There is no much options you can change the way it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:49 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Nice mpc work olby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:19 am 

are you setting the original key to F?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:59 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

whyse0ne wrote:
are you setting the original key to F?

it defaults to C if i remember correctly, but in messing around i DID find that F sounded a wee bit better.

do you recommend i set it to F?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:03 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

Olby wrote:
That's just how it works. It uses time stretching to do this so basically you will never get same tonal characteristics like other samplers that do ol' school pitch shifting.

Just remember to always use MUSIC preset to do pitch shifting as to my memory it gave the best results for general pitch shift.

As for the sampling mode it does not matter... I used only LONG mode on all of my beats.

Just check this old beat here. It uses pitch shifting on the main sample and the quality is acceptable.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5916960&q=hi

Simply put it like this - it all depends on the sample you put in. There is no much options you can change the way it works.

okay - very cool. thanks Olby.

the "music" setting is good to know...i've been messing with low and high, but will use music from here on in.

and yeah, on the beat you linked (sweet, btw!) there's grainyness, which is welcomed, but i don't hear the warble and artifacting that I'm getting.

so I'll keep messing around with it. good to know that "standard" versus "long" does not change it too much.

thanks for the response, and DUDE, thanks for the great seven part series on the 505! appreciate it. it was really great. i also had a good time listening to yr beat compilation on youchube. some wicked quick things in there!

peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:11 pm 
Awesome Member

olby's a legend round these here parts :mrgreen: such dope music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:00 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

axiom gates wrote:
olby's a legend round these here parts :mrgreen: such dope music

absolutely. but i hadn't watched his 505 vids until i nabbed the machine. very, very good instruction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:35 am 

well i usually set it to F if you set it any higher or lower atleast half the pitched sound in either direction will get all garbled up. So yeah, I took Olbys advice a few months back and set it to F almost always. That way you can play the pitched sound out like a keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:53 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

whyse0ne wrote:
well i usually set it to F if you set it any higher or lower atleast half the pitched sound in either direction will get all garbled up. So yeah, I took Olbys advice a few months back and set it to F almost always. That way you can play the pitched sound out like a keyboard.

okay - that's cool. cuz i noticed that garbled up thing. yr walking up the chromatic notes, and then suddenly its just sputtering sounds and fuzzy garbage! lol. so i'll use F from now on.

STARTNG to get the hang of the pitching. i guess what i've learned is that there are a few little tricks (listed above and elsewhere) but for the most part it just depends on the sample, how far yr pushing it, and what yr playing it over.

the frustrating thing is that using the "pan" function separates the sounds in such a way that you don't get the warbling (or, its not as obvious), but as pointed before you only get hard left / right and centre, which is a wee bit limiting.

still. ANY kind of panning and pitching sets this machine apart.

BTW: i LOOOOOVE the pads. am i alone in that? damn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:44 am 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

yea if you want some crazy shit, time stretch pitch down time strech pitch down . got a crazy drone find some loop points and fx of choice yea 505 is crazy dope .