It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

Post subject: panning on 505?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:14 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

hey dudes - anyone know if it is possible to pan samples left and right across the 360 spectrum on the sp505?

can't find info (which suggests no), but thought i'd ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 pm 

Hey Fauna,

To pan samples on the 505,press the pad where your sample is located then to your left press Wave Edit and there you'll be able to change your sample parameters,but the panning options are limited to hard left,center and hard right though...

Hope that helps....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

right on, rob. thanks. i don't have the box yet, but am scoping out the functions (couldn't find anything in the manual under "pan", weirdly).

thanks dude. you loving this weather?

fuuuuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:49 pm 

no problem fauna:)

Yeah,you'll see how intuitive this box is...Wave Edit is where it's at if you want to pan,change the playback to gate,trigger or drum,fine tune loop points etc...

Yo,it's pretty brutal,snowy and cold...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:37 am 

but you can only pan mono samples. this box is very much a mono machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:40 am 
505 Award Winner '09

jbl wrote:
but you can only pan mono samples. this box is very much a mono machine.

yeah, the polyphany sort of makes that the only way to go, hey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:45 am 

true.

but i really think the lack of true panning(360, stereo) is unacceptable. i mean i can buy a 1976 boombox that has this shit so why can't roland offer this. it would make rocking the vinyl even easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:34 am 

you raise a good point about the 505 being a mono machine but I always thought that stereo samples were a bit overrated.
I have an old keyboard mag with some sampling tips and tricks and one of them was that "Stereo is a myth"

They usually take twice the memory and with some panning,layering and a bit of reverb,it's possible to have the same results turning mono samples in stereo ones.

Apparently Madlib does most his work in mono but that said,it must be hard for his engineer to mix though...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:04 am 
505 Award Winner '09

jbl wrote:
true.

but i really think the lack of true panning(360, stereo) is unacceptable. i mean i can buy a 1976 boombox that has this shit so why can't roland offer this. it would make rocking the vinyl even easier.

that's fair. i think the 404 having NO panning option is a travesty, so i'm okay with there being some sort on the 505.

but yeah, i've realized thru pcs and using other boxes that placing things in the 360 spectrum is so important for sounds to find their own pocket.

to me, its as critical as EQing for mix / frequency balance.

with the understanding that everything must be buried under layers of grungy lo-fidelity.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:07 am 
505 Award Winner '09

Rob P wrote:
you raise a good point about the 505 being a mono machine but I always thought that stereo samples were a bit overrated.l

yeah, i work predominantly in stereo on the 404, but had to get used to mono on the ES-1 (ninety seconds total samp time).

now i like a mix of the two, but can work in mono cuz i've gotten used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:52 pm 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

Quote:
you loving this weather?

i dont think sask gets as cold as quebec, but im under a couple feet of powder now, i walked to the beer store ( took 5 minutes ) on my way home, my footprints were already filled in with snow .

well at least my beer is cold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:06 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

yeah, the snow shoveling last night was bullshit. finish the stairs, and you could pretty much start again.

i remember that beer! can't get it here (but could in BC). if i remember correctly, there's a hidden sasquatch on there (or, saskwatch, as i'm sure you guys prefer!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:43 am 

ive been interested in getting a 505 for a bit now, my question is that with this panning thing on the 505 you can do the stereo recording, split for 2 diff perfect synced tracks type trick from a pattern on the 505 right?

also im hearing you guys on this stereo myth thing, cuz im pretty sure (but could be wrong) that stereo recording only really matters if you mic something live. i just always forget to switch it to mono when i sample stuff! haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:09 pm 

1. on the 505 you can pan only mono samples and only hard right or left.

2. the stereo myth is not so much of a myth in my book, especially if you are into using OLD vinyl (the older the more obvious); there are often parts of a song on one side or another but not both (unless, of course, if the lp is in mono). so what i would like is to pan while recording (which is easy enough really, i just use my mixer but actually my player only sends mono signals arghhh...). then again this is just a recording issue.

the dr-202 has great panning capabilities; wonder if that would transfer via midi to my sp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:19 pm 

panning is definitely a crucial part of stereo mixing that can make a mix so much better, somebody said above me its as important to them as EQin, and they are definitely right, just panning things hard left and hard right really doesn't help a mix either though, you need full control between hard left and hard right, and you need to know why to place certain frequencies and pieces of the mix where, IE bass usually works good dead center, along with other key backings of the mix, but you might put certain mid range melodies slightly left or right, and sometimes you can bus out the an effect on that track and pan it a little further left or right (i got a book i'm readin on it that i just got, so to experience people what i just said may not be totally how you go about it)

i'm just learnin about this kinda thing and getting it down, but mixing in stereo and panning is defintely crucial, the 404 makes this hard though, becuase its so easy to set up patterns rockin and get them soundin good as is, i haven't multitracked at all with it, so i have no panning experience yet, i'm waiting to do some guitar/bass/drums thing with some friends to really start honing my mixing skills, but stereo is definitely not a myth