It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

Post subject: Sequencing Help...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:06 pm 

So this is uncharted territory with me. :shock: Up until now, I've mainly used my 505 to sample and then apply effects to them, then trigger while I'm making mixtapes and such. I have never really spent much time in this section, but after seeing dope cuts vid (which he removed) Olby's and some others on Youtube, it has inspired me to learn it.

It's a much more powerful machine than I thought! :D

I can't figure out how to get my samples from certain banks to record when I'm making a new pattern. Also, the ones I can record with, the sounds get distorted and shit. I don't understand quantization, but I'm doing my homework and trying to learn about it. I'd like to be able to use the sequencer on this beast and get good results.

I know all of you who do produce good shit have spent hours mastering the 505, and this is what I basically need to do. Up until now, I've chopped some drum breaks, or loaded some drums, and than played in real time while recording to my Korg D3200. I'll then take the best loop, resample it back into the 505 and then manually sequence as I record again into my multitrack.

^^^ May have been confusing, but I think this method is ridiculous and the SP has a sequencer for a reason! Any tips and help is greatly needed and appreciated!!

Peace... skeezee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:51 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I'm not sure why you can't record sounds from some of your banks, but it seems like stuff like that stems from the memory cards, maybe a new card will remedy the problem. As for quantize, it just puts a sound onto a specific division of a a whole bar. If you divide the bar into quarter notes then you get
1 |2 |3 |4
KIck Snare Kick Snare and then you can further divide that to 1/8th 1/16th or even like 1/32th or 1/64th, by putting quantize on 1/4th notes you insure that your sound will be placed on the 1/4 note closet to where you placed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:28 pm 

Well, those samples aren't on my card, they're on the User banks. I need to troubleshoot a little more I suppose! Thanks for the response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:04 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Try initializing the internal banks according to the manual and then sample new sounds in and play around to see if that helps at all.