It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

Post subject: Samples on the memory card
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:29 pm 

So, can I use samples that are saved on the memory card, or do I need to load them into the internal memory to use them? The manual implies that the sampler can sample as much time as fits on the card, so I would think that samples on the card can be directly accessed.

If you have to load everything to the internal memory, then that's really a rough time seeing as you have to load one-by-one and there's not much internal memory. Or is that wrong? I just got this thing, so I might be wrong.

Just in the way of background info, what I'm trying to do is load a bunch of loops that I made in Ableton onto the sampler for playing shows. I've previously used an SP-808 for this, but I've had one too many zip disks fail on me right before shows (3 times already this year), so I picked up a 505. Maybe the 505 wasn't the right machine for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:41 pm 

yes you can use samples saved on the memory card without loading them to the internal memory first.

As for loading the card with loops you've made in ableton. I'm not sure how that would work... I've never done it or tried. I'm pretty sure what you are trying to do is possible though... should be anyway. I remember seeing a part in one of Olby's videos where he loads up a sample from his card and assigns it to the pads. That might be a little help to you.

go to youtube.com and type in sp 505. Olby's videos are the first to come up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:43 pm 

Thanks whyseOne. I watched those vids earlier and they were indeed extremely helpful. I know it's possible to upload a beat from the card, but I can't get many onto the sampler at once because of the limited internal memory.

I think I might be doing the whole memory card thing wrong. When I hit the [sampling] button it says there are 2M:14.6S (2 minutes, 14.6 seconds) left, but I have a 128MB card in, so shouldn't it be a lot more? It's not that the card is in wrong, because I was able to load a couple of loops from the card at first. What's going on here? So confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:30 pm 

speak_onion wrote:
Thanks whyseOne. I watched those vids earlier and they were indeed extremely helpful. I know it's possible to upload a beat from the card, but I can't get many onto the sampler at once because of the limited internal memory.

I think I might be doing the whole memory card thing wrong. When I hit the [sampling] button it says there are 2M:14.6S (2 minutes, 14.6 seconds) left, but I have a 128MB card in, so shouldn't it be a lot more? It's not that the card is in wrong, because I was able to load a couple of loops from the card at first. What's going on here? So confused.

okay.. well... i dont know exactly what you are doing because once again I haven't tried what you are doing, but.. the reason it says you have little sampling time is because you have the internal memory banks selected.. if you selected a card bank it would switch over to the card memory, and show a lot more sampling time. I'm not sure this helps you because what I think you are trying to do is put samples from you card onto the internal memory right?

Why though? Why do you have to transfer them to the internal memory? Can't you just play the loops from the cards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:05 pm 

whyse0ne wrote:
speak_onion wrote:

okay.. well... i dont know exactly what you are doing because once again I haven't tried what you are doing, but.. the reason it says you have little sampling time is because you have the internal memory banks selected.. if you selected a card bank it would switch over to the card memory, and show a lot more sampling time. I'm not sure this helps you because what I think you are trying to do is put samples from you card onto the internal memory right?

Why though? Why do you have to transfer them to the internal memory? Can't you just play the loops from the cards?

Ohh, ok. Yeah, I want to just play them from the card, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I'll try changing the bank. I didn't see in the manual where it said there are banks for the internal memory and the external, but now I see that. I'll give this a shot and see if that works better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 pm 

:D It work'd! Stupid me, maybe I shouldn't skip the first page of the manual next time.

Thanks again whyseOne! Living up to the moniker!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:06 pm 

hi
i bought an sp-505 the next week.
i don't see any memory card bank. so
Quote:
okay.. well... i dont know exactly what you are doing because once again I haven't tried what you are doing, but.. the reason it says you have little sampling time is because you have the internal memory banks selected.. if you selected a card bank it would switch over to the card memory, and show a lot more sampling time.
i would like to solve easly this, but...i know my 64mb card works correctly because i save files on it and then i fotmatted it.
i tell what i do:
i push the pad bank button and scroll them, but it stops at 16 *pitch bank...so what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:16 pm 

turn the card over!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:48 pm 

hi
Quote:
turn the card over!

in what sense? how do you turn the card over?
thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:05 pm 

uhm...
take it out, turn it over(180%), put it back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 pm 

jbl,
i take it over and i put it again inside sp-505, but i see no 16 plus pad banks. i also turned the gold sid of the smartmedia...i repeat, i saved some files succesfully with this card yet. and i formatted it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:17 pm 

i repeated the same operation with an 8mb card and it works. maybe -hell, no!-the 64mb card got some problems...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:21 pm 

i see the card in the "system" zone but i can only format it neither load nor save...s**t...i tried to re-format it but nothing happened...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:27 pm 

believe me or not, this thing is strange: i put the 64mb card into my sp-303, i formatted it and now the sp-505 read all the banks! that's what i call friendship. another reason more to not sell the sp-303 beast!!!

cheers

ps
in the 8mb card is written 3.3v, and not in the 64mb card; it is written ID 64mb...is it normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 pm 

i think it MUST be 3.3 Volt.