It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Post subject: Resample with BPM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:43 am 

Hi there
I have just started to play with the SP-505 and I wonder if I found a big limitation or if I have not found the function.

Let me explain.

I sample 2 or 4 bars of beats from drum machines. For this, I use the "Sample with BPM" option, and I set the BPM of the sample to the same BPM as the drum machine, say 110 for example.

That's all nice and good, because the sampler understands that the length of the sample has to be based on the BPM, so even if I stop sampling a bit too late, no problem, the SP automatically cuts the last bit off, so that the phrase loops seamlessly. Great.

Now let's say I want to apply an FX to my sample, and resample that. Problem: in the resample screen, there is no option "with BPM" like in the sample screen.

So once resampling is done, problem 1 : I have to go into waveform edit to remove the unwanted bit at the end. And problem 2 : I cannot change the BPM of that sample (the resampled one), so I end up with a sample at 109.3 instead of 110 BPM for example.

All in all, the resample function is pretty much useless to resample loops. Or did I miss something ?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Resample with BPM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:14 am 

Auto-reply:

Thanks to wave editing and especially thanks to the screen and the zoom in function, it's not too difficult to cut unwanted bits, and very precisely, to arrive at the right BPM. Some manual work, but the solution is acceptable.

This unit seems quite powerful at the end of the day (for its price!), still need to explore in practice how to use a couple of functions like BPM adjust and BPM sync

It lacks TR-recording, but I can use my TR-8 in midi for this, although I haven't found in the midi settings how to play a bank other than bank 1 from an external midi device.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:05 am 

turn your sample type to "phrase".

it will the be stretched to fit the bpm.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:05 am 

mr.thraz wrote:
turn your sample type to "phrase".

it will the be stretched to fit the bpm.

Thanks, but I don't want the sample to be stretched, I want the re-sample recording of the loop to stop at the right time depending on the BPM. If re-sampling stops too early or too late, time stretching will not fix it, so I have to re-sample a little longer, and then visually edit the sample to cut the extra bit at the end.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:08 pm 

bib993 wrote:

It lacks TR-recording, but I can use my TR-8 in midi for this, although I haven't found in the midi settings how to play a bank other than bank 1 from an external midi device.

MIDI is a bitch, on the 505. I messed around for ages, trying to get my MPD to trigger anything other than pad bank 1.
It's Program change, you need to look at. I'll have a look when I'm back from work, and see if I can work it out (again).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:32 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to use Program Change from my TR-8 (probably by changing kits)

In the meantime they've released the 404A to be compatible with the TR-8, so I wonder if the 505 was the right choice, because I tested the new TR-8 firmware that adds a function to change the 404SX/A banks with the Tempo dial of the TR-8, and to trigger the pads from the TR-8 sequencer. Nice, but I couldn't make it work with the 505, the only thing I can do is trigger pad 12 from bank 1 with the BD track of the TR. Why only this one, it's still a mystery! I wish it could work because the TR-8 faders can control sample volumes, and faders by pad is typically something that misses in all SPs.

Anyway, I copped the 505 for 100€ so I have no regret. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but every session is a pleasure. The workflow can be a bit cumbersome, and there are many things you cannot do live (like re-sampling) but the screen, the memory, the effects, and the sequencing capabilities make it one of the key pieces in my setup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:47 pm 

Apparently the TR-8 is not able to send Program change messages

Source : https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... _e02_W.pdf

I guess the "x" in the Program change line and the "Transmitted" column means a "no"