It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

Post subject: SP-505 for live techno?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 pm 

Hi there,

New to the forum, from France.

I'm looking for a cheap sampler to complement my setup (MC-303 not on the picture, DR-202, MC-09, TR-8, MX-1) and I've seen an SP-505 at a good price (100€ with a 128 memory card). I used to own an SP-202 10 years ago but I sold it because of the cheap sound and now I regret.

I do live techno and I'd like to know if it's possible to play samples (sequenced sounds and loops) and record at the same time with the SP-505. I don't want to stop and start all the time, otherwise it's not live anymore, or it makes things more complicated for MIDI sync.

Am I in the right direction or should I move along, and what sampler would you recommend then?

Thanks for the precious feedbacks!

Post subject: Re: SP-505 for live techno?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:01 pm 

salut
you cannot record new samples while playing patterns
or you mean record patterns?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:59 am 

ellaguru wrote:
salut
you cannot record new samples while playing patterns
or you mean record patterns?

Yes I meant record samples. What about programming patterns while it is playing ? In my machines only the MC-09 and the TR-8 can do that.
Merci !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:29 pm 

bib993 wrote:
What about programming patterns while it is playing ? In my machines only the MC-09 and the TR-8 can do that.
Merci !

you can program patterns only when you record them, not that flexible, i know, those was the days in the old school days : )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:02 am 

I haven't gotten around to make the setup that you have, but I think you're trying to include samples into your beats/loops/melodies. So yeah, experiment with including it into your setup. I love most of the 26 effects it has, and you will probably find some you'll wish to include. I happen to have a MC-09, but haven't been using it since I had to pawn it. (I plan to get it out soon)

If it's not going to work for you, maybe a different sampler will work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:00 am 

Yes I want to include samples in my mix, but ideally I'd like also to sample some portions of my mix and chop/sequence them in live, not just loop them.

I'd plug the Aux send of the MX-1 into the SP so I can select which instrument gets sampled because the MX-1 is very good at managing what you send to an effects processor.

Let's see if I can get the SP-505 at a very good price, otherwise I'll be waiting for a SP-555 which seems more powerful for my needs.

Hope you get your MC-09 back soon. If I had to keep only one machine, even if it's not the more expensive it would probably be the one because I love it's sound :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:39 pm 

bib993 wrote:
but ideally I'd like also to sample some portions of my mix and chop/sequence them in live, not just loop them.

maybe better to look at elektron octatrak or digitak, but the price is very expensive

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:00 pm 

A Digitak is cool, and it does sample, but I don't think you can get the versitility of sample time a SP has.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 am 

Just copped the SP-505 (not there yet it is on its way) and in parallel I got the Boss JS-5 Jamstation for a mere 20€, which is less than the price of the included memory card alone!

After 3-4 hours, I am surprised by this little thing. It's supposed to be a backing station for singers and guitarists but actually you can MIDI program it and it has a line in, so you can record external audio (60 minutes on the memory card) and there are some (limited) looping features, so it's like a programmable sequencer with a decent bank of good sounding instruments (drums, guitars, synths, pianos...) and some (basic) sampler capabilities, so I can record my best TR-8 live sets and mix them with the JS-5 internal patterns with added overdrive and distortion (large effect bank in this little tool).

Already managed to do some decent techno (when it's supposed to du blues, latin, hard rock...) I like to push the machines in unchartered territories.

What's going to happen when I add the SP-505 to the mix? :D