It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am

Post subject: Sequencing my Sp-505 (slave) using my MPC 1000 (master)
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:43 am 

Hi Guys im new to the site and have just recently purchased a Sp-505 which i love. But i wanted to sequence my 505 using my MPC 1000 manged to get the right connections but does any one know how to assign my SP-505 samples to trigger using 1000 ...the sounds i seem to be getting when triggering is all the default preset 808 drums and i can't get my own samples to be triggered :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:10 pm 

The 505 changes banks through program change. So you gotta change the midi program number to change the bank.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:18 pm 

Dj Frantic wrote:
The 505 changes banks through program change. So you gotta change the midi program number to change the bank.

Thanks frantic but have ive changed the midi program no on both machines but im still getting the same preset bank 1 sounds getting triggered :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:26 am 

according to the user manual it's only possible to trigger the first bank and the pitch bank with other program change numbers. it's all listed in the back of the manual. it's amazing how some folks give speculative answers in these forums without checking the manual first. anyways, no other banks can be be triggered, not even the one you're currently using at the time. it's ridiculous but true. i tried it all last night with my akai mpk 49 midi keyboard (great keyboard by the way) and nothing worked. gonna try triggering the start/stop with the keyboard but according to the manual there's no controller address for that either, so it probably won't work. amazingly triggering the pads from the aged sp-808 with my keyboard works. just goes to show how all these new machines are becoming nothing but preset toys for unexplorative folk and not for serious musicians. you'd think that the people at roland would realise that when people buy a sampler that they want to create and try more things out. otherwise they would have bought an mc-303, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:52 am 

I am able trigger all my 505's samples with my mpc2000. Maybe the 1000 is different...

As Frantic said, you have to change the program number on the MPC to move around the 505's different pad banks. This is the PGM value in the MPC's sequencer screen.

In the MPC sequencer, change the DRUM to MIDI 1A then change the PGM to various different number values. As you scroll around PGM number values, hit the MPC pads and you should start to trigger your 505's samples from the different pad banks.

Hope this helps, let me know how you go. cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:47 pm 

ok thanks, sounds easy enough. hopefully the program change doesn't change the pattern at the same time though. i want to be able to trigger pads and play patterns at the same time. do you know if it's possible to trigger the start/stop as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:41 am 

i was trying to control my sp-808 with my sp-505 and i could get the start-stop song working no problem but what i couldn't do is get any sounds to play on my 808 using the 505 to send note on messages. i thought the manual said i could do this but maybe i misunderstood as i'm not so savvy with midi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:14 pm 

hi,
sorry it took a bit to reply, but we've got it going. first you have to change the midi note of pad 1 in the sp 808 to that of pad 1 in the 505 (i think it's 35 or 36, look in the manual) all other pads will correspondently change as well. then of course the midi channels should be the same, but this is probably already so if the start/stop works. then unfortunately there has to be a sample in the pad on the 505 your using to trigger the 808. we did this by taking a short preset hihat copying it and putting it on every pad in a separate pad bank and turning the volume down on them. so now when you use this pad bank you can trigger the 808. if you're playing patterns like we are just use this pad bank as well to trigger it and any other samples in the 505 can be on other pad banks in the patterns. the only pain that we realised is it's best to have the pad banks in each machine set up so that you're triggering pads on the 808 and playing sounds on the 505 you don't wish to here or visa versa. for this we left spaces on each machine for each other. wanna trigger an 808 pad and nothing on the 505 use one of the hihat pads with no volume. wanna play a sample on the 505 but not the 808, make sure the pad is empty. i'm using ours to just play rythmns on the 505 and the other samples on the 808. with the part sequencers i can have the 505 beats on 1 and the other parts on the other 3 and can turn them on and off. by setting the pad bank to the silenced hihat bank i'm also using the pads to turn on and off more samples at the same time. good luck and much fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:32 am 

hey thanks. I'm still a little confused.

1) how do use "user" pad banks to send messages?
2) if you hit a pad on the 808 does the corresponding midi note sound on the 505.

btw i got pad bank 1 working but this is no good as some pads (which are locked) send very short notes and cut off my samples on the 808. this is why i want to use pad bank 5.