It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

Post subject: sp 505 pitch question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:36 pm 

I havent been on a sp 505 since 09 sold mine a while back and copped a mv wanted to know how to speed up or slow down samples . reason im asking is im able to get one dirt cheap. and just wanted to know if there is a work around.

Post subject: Re: sp 505 pitch question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:59 pm 

It doesn't have true pitch meaning a low pitched sample will not play longer than a higher pitched sample. The audio will be the same duration. The 505 uses time stretching algorhythms and it seems to work better in some type of sounds compared to others. I don't mess with the pitch on mine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:14 pm 

formal

do you just play the record sped up on your turntable before you sample it into 505

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:23 pm 

Yes sir, I do it the old fashioned way. Luckily my turntable has some crazy pitch options and also a pitch shift feature too (Stanton str8-100).

If its a sample not from vinyl and i want to pitch it I will usually do it with audacity if my laptop is near or with beatmaker 2 on my ipad. 505 is a good machine. Snag it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:02 pm 

lol oh shit i didnt even think to use beatmaker2 i got that on my ipad thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:10 am 

richiedinero wrote:
I havent been on a sp 505 since 09 sold mine a while back and copped a mv wanted to know how to speed up or slow down samples . reason im asking is im able to get one dirt cheap. and just wanted to know if there is a work around.

Do you have the MV or you mean that you sold the 505 to get the MV at the time? If you still have it, thats all you need for pitch. It pitches them up and down.

If not then heed formal's posts. All I can say is that I did a little trick by putting the sample in a pattern and slow or speed up the bpm of the pattern itself. For some reason, it sounds better than timestretch. Some gobby guk but not like the hideous timestretch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 pm 

Quote:
All I can say is that I did a little trick by putting the sample in a pattern and slow or speed up the bpm of the pattern itself. For some reason, it sounds better than timestretch. Some gobby guk but not like the hideous timestretch.

This is when you have the sample set to 'Phrase'?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:25 pm 

As far as I know, this isn't something the 505 does. If you can find a Akai S20 however, it can pitch samples up/down to your liking. Then re-sample it into the sp505. If you have Ableton, you could always pitch the samples there and re-sample to the sp505. If the sp505 is your ONLY piece of gear, then you might be stuck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:19 pm 

I have other samplers that can do that. But I want to get the most out of my 505, so I can make beats on the spot when not having the opportunity to access my other samplers. The 505 is still a small box I can carry with me all the time.

Somehow Illgreen has a special trick I would like to know more about...