It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

Post subject: ok i guess it's time to learn my 505
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:03 am 

I bought this sampler so long ago but the simplicity of my 404 always wins out.. lately I've been thinking about selling it on ebay...

now the volume pot on my 404 is fried, and since I can't afford to fix it right away I'm thinking about getting on the 505 finally.

Honestly, making songs with this device has always been difficult me. I like the chop function and I like the screen... but I get overwhelmed, as if I have to work too hard to perform the basic functions that I typically use (ie chop and resample loops and hits)..

just looking for some advice to help me get into some comfortable space with this device.. youtube has been of no help, just people playing their 505 tracks rather than building a track..

thanks all

Post subject: Re: ok i guess it's time to learn my 505
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:32 pm 

The Olby videos on YouTube showed me basically I needed to know. I think there's 5 or 6 vids. The 505 also can make resampled beats the same way as the 404.

Here's a few tips to get you started.

1. Press the menu/wave edit button. Then press your EXT pad. Use the down cursor button and go to "pad play" change this from gate to trigger. (It might already be set this way)

2. After you sample a sound to a pad press the menu/wave edit button. Change play mode to "drum" if you want it to trigger. While you are here, use the down arrow cursor and go to "play type". Switch it from phrase to single. If you don't switch the 505 will try to auto time stretch when you use the sample in a pattern.

3. Mono samples are your friend

4. Sample below the threshold so you can see peaks in wave view. After you chop hit the menu/wav edit button. Press the "amp" button. "Adjust" bump it up to like 250. The 505 samples quieter than the 404 but you can really push the volume levels high after you chop.

5. Don't mess with autochop. I find it is just easier to use clipboard and chop myself.

6. Make use of the internal banks. I keep my fav drums there so I always have something to work with in a pinch.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more specific questions. The 505 is like a 404, but better ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:05 pm 

hey thanks Formal, that was a good refresher... I've probably use the 505 for a total of 200 hours maybe.. I tend to get anxiety when I try new gear or I am taken away from a piece of gear I am using

true story; I have olby's 505, lol..

so why you are against auto-chop, I get why you like to chop manually but I feel like it's always worth trying to auto chop a sample to..

another thing I'm curious about is if the 505 can determine correct tempo after the sample is recorded or do I have to set the tempo before recording the audio ??

I

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:27 pm 

Autochop takes too long. It is basically taking your sample and resampling the chops to the internal bank. Once chopped you can't go back and edit the start/end points of the chops. If you end up liking how it autochops you gotta copy all those sounds to the clipboard anyway. Autochop only works for mono samples too.

After you sample something and adjust the start/end points so the sample loops properly the 505 will tell you the BPM. If you click the menu/wav edit button and switch the play type from single to phrase it will give you the BPM. (Make sure proper bar length is selected). After you find the BPM switch the sample back to "single" play mode.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:28 pm 

Last edited by commercial on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:43 pm 

You can push the incoming audio above the peak indicator, but it makes chopping via the graphic wave form hard because it shows up as a solid black bar. When I am doing short drum samples i will peak way into the red because chopping isn't an issue.

The processing time of the AMP takes a long time if you are using stereo samples. For a longer (10-15second sample) it has taken my machine like 30 minutes. Even with the slow times using the AMP adjustment is the best way to get a thick/loud sound.

You should easily be able to boost your samples to the same levels as the internal 505 drum sounds. That is generally my goal.