It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm

Post subject: Connecting turntable to 505 (volume problem)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:48 pm 

So I just bought a Stanton str8 80 Turntable and when I connect it straight from the turntable to the 505 it's really soft, even when I turn the rec volume on the 505 all the way up its still extremely soft. What would I need for the volume to go up on sampler. Would I need a mixer and go turntable to mixer to 505? Or would I need speakers with an output slot and go turntable to speaker to 505? What all would I need, thanks

Post subject: Re: Connecting turntable to 505 (volume problem)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:10 pm 

if i were you i'd try to check if the stanton out or the 505 in got an audio problem. in normal conditions, how do those machines work separately?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:31 pm 

On the str8 80 there will be a phono/line switch near the RCA outputs. Try adjusting the switch. Sounds like the pre amp is switched off.

Also the str8 80 has digital outputs as well. If you get the proper cable you can sample straight digital and you will not need to worry about incoming audio levels from the turntable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:33 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
if i were you i'd try to check if the stanton out or the 505 in got an audio problem. in normal conditions, how do those machines work separately?

I know for a fact that the 505 works perfectly I havent tested the turntable out with any speakers yet but other than the volume problem when hooking it up to the 505 it seems to work fine. I'll see if I have some speakers I can test out the turntable with when I get home

Last edited by Plan7 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:36 pm 

formal wrote:
On the str8 80 there will be a phono/line switch near the RCA outputs. Try adjusting the switch. Sounds like the pre amp is switched off.

Also the str8 80 has digital outputs as well. If you get the proper cable you can sample straight digital and you will not need to worry about incoming audio levels from the turntable.

That sound like that's the problem I didnt notice the switch near the RCA so I'll just check it again. Thanks for the response

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:03 am 

Damn I had no idea the str80 had a line/phono switch and I've been using it for 10 years!! I gotta check that when I get home.

But yeah you need to Just get a mixer and turn it up

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:01 am 

That's cool it has line out option wouldn't need a mixer

http://spinxytunes.bandcamp.com/album/n ... -beat-tape
New album!:
http://www.braincast.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:31 am 

Yup no mixer needed. Also has a 1/8" stereo line input too

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:16 pm 

formal wrote:

I looked near the RCA outputs and couldn't find a switch could I take a picture of the turntable so someone could point out where the switch is?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:37 pm 

Ok so I own the str8-100 and it has this feature. When I googled the str8-80 the amazon page said it had same switch. http://www.amazon.com/Stanton-STR8-80-D ... B00006FXFU

When I actually downloaded the PDF manual I couldn't find the switch. So I guess you guys are right that this model requires a mixer. I do know for a fact the str8-100 has a selectable phono/line and separate digital output. If ya'll discover something new please post your findings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:25 pm 

formal wrote:
Ok so I own the str8-100 and it has this feature. When I googled the str8-80 the amazon page said it had same switch. http://www.amazon.com/Stanton-STR8-80-D ... B00006FXFU

When I actually downloaded the PDF manual I couldn't find the switch. So I guess you guys are right that this model requires a mixer. I do know for a fact the str8-100 has a selectable phono/line and separate digital output. If ya'll discover something new please post your findings.

What should I get for the volume problem then? A Pre-amp, or a mixer, also can u post some pages for some good models? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 pm 

CULP wrote:
Damn I had no idea the str80 had a line/phono switch and I've been using it for 10 years!! I gotta check that when I get home.

But yeah you need to Just get a mixer and turn it up

so it does need a mixer? are there any you can recommend for me?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 am 

You can get an spdif cable for less than $10 http://www.amazon.com/Cables-29115-Mete ... al+digital

Using this digital cable will not require a mixer.

Or you can choose to get a mixer. You can find most entry level 2 channel dj mixers for less than $100.

Hit up google and see what you find and let us know. We will give advice depending on what approach you take.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:35 pm 

It sounds like the turntable's signal just needs a little more oompf, which just won't happen without a pre-amp of some sort. You can either get a dj mixer, or any old school stereo amp that have a record player grounding, and a way to output the signal into the 505. Most digital amps started to do away with the turntable output altogether, so anything from the 70's or 80's is what you'd be looking for. Check your local thrift stores, and check the back of the stereos you find. If you can output the signal, and ground the deck, you're golden. Otherwise, you want a dj mixer. Any cheap Gemini/Numark will get you there. It will be able to ground the deck, and boost the signal so the 505 can properly sample it. Good luck.