It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

Post subject: Lets talk chop..
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:08 pm 

I've now had enough time to really get to know the 505 now but I still have some questions about the chop feature. The 'resolution' feature usually defaults at 4 or 5 with a maximum setting of 10.. But usually the chops are really bad, not starting and ending on any beat that I can hear, and often I'll have 8 chops of a split second then one big one at the end with the rest of the sample. As a result I have to attempt to chop at several different resolutions before settling on one that is 'close enough' so that I can use the edit feature to adjust them to their final chop position.

So my questions are:

(1) What exactly is the 'resolution' setting? Is there any rhyme or reason to these numbers or does it all just depend on the length and content of the sample?

(2) How long do you like to make your chops, a few measures each or a just big enough to contain a couple of beats? Just wondering what other people's work flow is

Post subject: Re: Lets talk chop..
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:46 am 

and does anyone know how to chop evenly? like a second of audio on each pad as apposed to it cutting according to the attacks

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:20 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

@ picaroon - the resolution is trial and error. If i get the one-chop-big-next-chop, I usually crank it up to 9 or 10 and work my way back down. I actually like how imprecise it is, cuz it chops in places I wouldn't have. I find one bar or two bars work best, and drum / perc loops work better than, say, melodic lines. You can also cut a break in two, then do a chop on each half. You can also try boosting the amplitude in wav edit to make the beats more clear. Good luck.

@ Wyatt - no way to set to seconds over beats, as far as i know.

post post post rock:
http://www.myspace.com/faunaflage | http://soundcloud.com/faunaflage

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:57 am 

fauna wrote:

I guess I meant beats not not seconds I just mean have the sounds on each pad be equal lengths so I could play out loops manually and things like that.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:55 am 

I agree that would be a good feature to have the option of breaking at even beats- I just use the 'edit' and set the chops manually at the start of each bar. It only takes a few minutes. But you can always play out the loops manually regardless, you just have to press the buttons at the right times.

WuTangWyatt wrote:
fauna wrote:

I guess I meant beats not not seconds I just mean have the sounds on each pad be equal lengths so I could play out loops manually and things like that.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:57 am 

Some great ideas there fauna thanks!

fauna wrote:
@ picaroon - the resolution is trial and error. If i get the
one-chop-big-next-chop, I usually crank it up to 9 or 10 and work my way back down. I actually like how imprecise it is, cuz it chops in places I wouldn't have. I find one bar or two bars work best, and drum / perc loops work better than, say, melodic lines. You can also cut a break in two, then do a chop on each half. You can also try boosting the amplitude in wav edit to make the beats more clear. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:20 am 

Picaroon wrote:
I just use the 'edit' and set the chops manually at the start of each bar. It only takes a few minutes. But you can always play out the loops manually regardless, you just have to press the pads at the right time

Yeah thanks I only got my 505 about a month ago and the chop editing has been totally bewildering but i'm starting to get. And yeah you could still play then manually it would just be much easier if they were even

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:23 am 

The resolution seems to work on odd numbers so i start with 5, the if i need more i go to 7, less i go to 3.

And i only use it to chop breaks!....keep it simple.
Oh and truncate so it can chop exactly at the beginning... That helps, so theres no dead air at the beginning or end of sample.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:24 pm 

Good sounding tip on the odd numbers I'll give that a try..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:09 pm 

I always go with default because I noticed this function it is pretty odd, so I go with default just to have some mark points and then I just adjust/add/remove depending on what I am looking for... messing with this numbers it is just wasting time. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:22 pm 

locotesmjr: I like your music on soundcloud, was any of that done with the SP or FL? Also, how do you justify using the SP-505 instead of just using FL studio to make music? Finally, do you prefer to start with your beats or the melodies when building the song?

locotesmjr wrote:
I always go with default because I noticed this function it is pretty odd, so I go with default just to have some mark points and then I just adjust/add/remove depending on what I am looking for... messing with this numbers it is just wasting time. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:05 pm 

Picaroon wrote:
locotesmjr: I like your music on soundcloud, was any of that done with the SP or FL? Also, how do you justify using the SP-505 instead of just using FL studio to make music? Finally, do you prefer to start with your beats or the melodies when building the song?

Thanks, All remixes on my soundcloud are a combo between FL and MPC, the beat tape called Jazzilator it was strictly SP303 and KO1, only beat uploaded there made with 505 it is called Sista, I have not shared any of my recent work done with 505 yet because I am working in something special so I am still in the process :D
FL it is a dope tool, I started using it back in 2003, then returned to it around 2006/7 when I worked tons of beats when suddenly fell in love with samplers, I have owned/used several, MPC1K, 2K, 2KXL, 2500, SP303/404/505 and MV8000, so I always tried to find that sounds that makes me feel I am doing a right thing... I found the 505 it is my favorite SP but now I am interested on getting a 606 just to try it, but I will not replace my 505...
So what I am doing now it is working with what I have and start projects, like jazzilator, when I used to have it I decided to work only using the 303 and finish something with it...
now I am working with the 505 in a special project
but when it comes in to making remixes I used the combo MPC+FL
About last question I always start with samples, then I try my drum kits over the samples to pick the right ones, then add basslines, fx, etc...
BTW, besides the 505 I also own the MPC2000, MPC2000XL and the MPC2500LE 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:44 pm 

I didn't realize you made the jazzilator stuff too! I was referring to your other songs on sound cloud. Actually its your Jazillator songs on YouTube that motivated me to buy the 505- and I even looked into getting a kaossilator until I realized I should experiment and develop my own style instead of copying yours.

Interesting to hear that for remixes you use MPC+FL.. doesn't the slicex plugin on FL do a good enough job chopping, or is there something else the MPC does that complements FL? And how would you compare the 505's chopping ability with that of the MPC's or other hardware you use? The reason I ask is that I haven't been to impressed with the default chopping of the 505 and I find myself manually setting all the points myself so that the samples always start clean on a beat. Often it will slice up a 10 second sample so that a dozen samples are taken of the first 3 notes and the rest of the sample is dumped into the last pad. I can't imagine what logic it uses to chop sometimes.

Can't wait to hear the secret stuff you're working on with the 505, I'm sure it will be great!

locotesmjr wrote:
Picaroon wrote:

Thanks, All remixes on my soundcloud are a combo between FL and MPC, the beat tape called Jazzilator it was strictly SP303 and KO1, only beat uploaded there made with 505 it is called Sista, I have not shared any of my recent work done with 505 yet because I am working in something special so I am still in the process :D
FL it is a dope tool, I started using it back in 2003, then returned to it around 2006/7 when I worked tons of beats when suddenly fell in love with samplers, I have owned/used several, MPC1K, 2K, 2KXL, 2500, SP303/404/505 and MV8000, so I always tried to find that sounds that makes me feel I am doing a right thing... I found the 505 it is my favorite SP but now I am interested on getting a 606 just to try it, but I will not replace my 505...
So what I am doing now it is working with what I have and start projects, like jazzilator, when I used to have it I decided to work only using the 303 and finish something with it...
now I am working with the 505 in a special project
but when it comes in to making remixes I used the combo MPC+FL
About last question I always start with samples, then I try my drum kits over the samples to pick the right ones, then add basslines, fx, etc...
BTW, besides the 505 I also own the MPC2000, MPC2000XL and the MPC2500LE 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:51 pm 

Picaroon wrote:
I didn't realize you made the jazzilator stuff too! I was referring to your other songs on sound cloud. Actually its your Jazillator songs on YouTube that motivated me to buy the 505- and I even looked into getting a kaossilator until I realized I should experiment and develop my own style instead of copying yours.

Thanks, I really appreciate your words

Picaroon wrote:
Interesting to hear that for remixes you use MPC+FL.. doesn't the slicex plugin on FL do a good enough job chopping, or is there something else the MPC does that complements FL? And how would you compare the 505's chopping ability with that of the MPC's or other hardware you use? The reason I ask is that I haven't been to impressed with the default chopping of the 505 and I find myself manually setting all the points myself so that the samples always start clean on a beat. Often it will slice up a 10 second sample so that a dozen samples are taken of the first 3 notes and the rest of the sample is dumped into the last pad. I can't imagine what logic it uses to chop sometimes.

Yes, the slicex it is a great tool but I do not use it too often, I use MPC+FL combo because I have everything synched with Pro-Tools, so I use the MPC for chops and drums and FL to use the VSTs, sometimes I even use drums from FL or to get any extra sound that I do not have loaded on my MPC.
SP505 chopping is crap, that's why I told you I use go with default and then I just adjust the marking points, I use default so the SP help me to put some marks, that way I just need to see if I need to move/add/delete any mark too save time.

Picaroon wrote:
Can't wait to hear the secret stuff you're working on with the 505, I'm sure it will be great!

Hopefully it will be out by the end of the year, so far I have 30 beats made exclusively using the 505, KO1 and vinyl records, no software involved, but before that I will be releasing a remix project that I have being working for some time now...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 pm 

Sounds great I'll be watching your channels for updates! Thanks again for all the suggestions.