It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 am

Post subject: Sampling: "With BPM" setting?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:38 am 

Hi everyone, just got a 505 and have read the manual and worked through the examples 3 times. One thing that still isn't clear (well I'll start with the big one for now :), is how the 'with BPM' setting works in the sampling standby options.

Just for an example, lets say I have 2 drum samples. I don't know what time signature they are in and I don't know the original BPM of the 2 recordings, they're on records or something. I sample them and want them to play in sync. How do I do it?

It appears to me know that the I have to chop the samples into individual beats and completely recreate them with the sequencer, with is obviously ridiculous and wrong. I was hoping I could just play the 2 phrase samples and press BPM sync and let the magic happen. But it clearly doesn't.

I'm suspecting this "With BPM" setting has something to do with it, but this 120 page manual is a little vague on this all-important topic. And searching the forums here there is no mention of this feature that I can find either.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Sampling: "With BPM" setting?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:13 pm 

i agree tha manual is not very clear on this side.
basically you have to take one sample as a "master" and its tempo will rule the other selected samples in sync; try to tweak/push buttons when you're in bpm sync mode, it'll work (once it worked for me).
another strategy: well, it's not the same principle but it's a workaround. if you sequence your first sample at that sample tempo then you can put the other sample in the same sequence as playing it as a "phrase" sample; you can change sample settings while in wave edit mode. automatically that sample will be in sync (time-stretched) with the first one.
good luck

Post subject: Re: Sampling: "With BPM" setting?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:09 pm 

HI,

Thanks for that second suggestion I'm looking forward to trying it out this morning!