It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 pm

Post subject: Using my SP 505 as a midi controller
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm 

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the board, but owned my SP for about 2 years. I haven't used it as much as I should have, but as of lately I can't put the thing down. I want to use the SP as a midi controller for my RS7000, and I have that all connected and fine. I sampled a 4 measure riff into the RS, chopped it up into slices, and have it ready to be resequenced. My problem though is when I press and hold down a pad on the SP, it doesn't play the full length of my slice. I get a quick on/off, like a drum trigger and I need more of a gate trigger. Basically so it will play as long as I hold my finger down, not loop, just play for the duration that the note is held down.

I know I could just use the SP to do all my sampling/chopping...but I like the RS effects would like to use the SP pads for sequencing.

any ideas?

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Using my SP 505 as a midi controller
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:36 pm 

Trajan wrote:
any ideas?

Thanks!!

sorry to be direct, but better to use the RS as the main sequencer/controller...unfortunately SP samplers are very cool in sync/clock thing but for controlling they're not, except sp606/555 (but they control softwares)...the 505 can just sends finely start/stop midi messages, for the notes it's a little complicated, i think it uses just 1 or 2 banks to do that and (maybe) only in one shot mode so the longer is the 505 sample the longer will sounds the RS sample...
anyway, what's wrong with the RS as the main sequencer? if it's conceived like the rm1x, it should be very nice for that...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:58 pm 

Oh nothing is wrong with the RS...I actually just didn't want to beat up the piano keys on it.. I learned where the SP pads correspond to which CC notes on the RS and figured I could beat the crap out of those SP rubber pads and spare the abuse on the RS keys. My approach was to not play a single sound out of the SP but just use it to control the RS, and its only playing a note for about 1 second. That's fine for drum sounds, but my chopped samples are being cut off short before I need them to : /

Thanks for responding and this site is great :D ! There's a ton of info here to dig thru!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:54 pm 

as stated, you really ought to use the RS as the master
but I had an RS, you should look at the Amp release/decay knobs for that patch.
If it is ending too fast, turn the release up, otherwise turn it down if its playing too much of the sample.