It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm

Post subject: SP 505 Connecting with MPC 2000xl
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:39 am 

I just got a 505 today. Read through the manual but am still having some difficulties. I would like to use the 505's effects on my mpc. This is the reason why I picked up the 505. I do all my chopping, sequencing and drum programming on the mpc. How would I set the two machines up so that whenever i need an effect on a certain pad on my mpc, I can just take it from the 505 and apply it to the which ever mpc pad I choose??

Thank You!!!!

Post subject: Re: SP 505 Connecting with MPC 2000xl
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:09 am 

unfortunately you can't use the effects on the 505 with the mpc as you describe it. but you can either 1) run the mpc audio outs to the 505 so that it affects the incoming audio or 2) take the sample you have on the mpc, put it on the 505, resample the sample with the effects(s), then record it back onto the mpc. there also may be a third way, though i'm not too familiar with the mpc2000, i did have a 1000 though. so one of the nice things about mpc's is their ability to record an audio input while a sequence is playing. this is nice when you're trying to sync up an instrument perfectly to a beat. so the other option is to run audio out cables to the 505, then from the 505 back to the mpc audio input. you should/might be able to use the 505's effects in this seamless loop without having to bounce samples. follow? basically you're just using the 505 as an effects box.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:00 am 

Thanks for the response! When you mention "audio outputs/inputs" on the mpc & the SP do you mean the midi outs/ins? how would i take a sample from my mpc and get in the sp so i can resample it with the effects and then dump it back in the mpc?? I couldn't really understand the third option you mentioned but it does sound interesting. One more thing. I picked up the sp used and I'm not really sure if the effects are even functional because I haven't been able to get them to work with a sample. I've tried to use the effects as described in the manual but it didn't work. I connected the midi out of the mpc to the in of sp and the outs of the sp to the in of the mpc. This allowed me to trigger the drum sounds I had on the mpc from the sp but when I tried adding effects to those sounds on the sp it didn't work. Sorry, one more thing I swear!!lol... There are 3 pan pots in the effects control area on the sp. I'm pretty sure this is a defect but you probably can tell me for sure. Ctrl 2 and 3 work fine but ctrl 1 doesn't move when I turn the knob either way. It almost moves in unison with CTRL knob 2. When I move CTRL 2 left or right, CTRL 1 moves along with it, it wont move on the screen when I twist CTRL 1 either way... Very strange! Is there a reason for this or are my suspicions correct and it's just busted??
Once again thank you for all your help and sorry about all these questions!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:43 pm 

yeah the control 1 knob may just be busted. there's more info on cntrl knobs in other posts on this forum, just search for it. as far as the fx not working, if you did everything correctly to assign the effect to a pad and still it does nothing then there's definetely something wrong, again try searching other posts to find more info. ok, as far as getting your sample from mpc to sp, this involves the audio connections and not midi, i've never really been into using midi, but if you dig it that's cool. basically you're just going to record the sample onto the sp using the audio ins/outs, once the sample is on a pad on the sp hit fx assign and hit the pad with that sample, now pick your desired effect, then turn the effect on/off button to on. if you're not hearing an effect in action then there's a problem. does the fx on/off button light up when you push it? read about resampling in the manual. then just record the sample back to the mpc. hope this gets ya somewhere :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:11 pm 

Thank you very much! It really helped. So I've hooked up the stereo outs from the mpc and now I can only hear samples being played from the SP. Whatever I had loaded in my mpc will not play. However I can play the sounds from the SP on my mpc pads. If you can help with this I'd appreciate it!!

Thanks again!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:05 pm 

I think at this point you're just hearing what would be sampled into the SP if you were to record. If the MPC's outs are going to SP ins, then you're ready to sample the sample. :P After you sample the sample (by hitting record with EXT Source on) you are now free to apply whatever effects you want, and then sample THAT again back into the MPC. Kinda sounds like a hassle but I'm sure if you get it down it's not that bad. Another thing you could try is recording the beat (or track it out) from the MPC and then load those "tracks" into the SP and use effects on them individually.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 pm 

I forgot to mention that my stereo outs from the mpc are going into the ins of the SP and then the outs of the SP are going into my audio interface. When I push ext source nothing happens. I have no clue!!??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:21 pm 

but you're able to hear your samples when you play them? If you're playing from your MPC while you're plugged into the SP and you can hear it then you should be able to sample that just by hitting record.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:02 am 

on the sp you have to push the external source button along with the hold button to keep it turned on. if you only push on the external source button it will only let audio in as long as it's pushed down, maybe that's the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:09 am 

also since you have these instruments hooked up via midi, you may need to check and see if one is acting as the master control and which one is the "slave", meaning hitting pads on one will only control the other but not itself. you may need to go into the midi settings on either device and change it to "thru" or something like that. once again i'm not too savvy with midi so you should read and re-read what both manuals have to say. but typically if a unit/sampler whatever is set to master or something it will act as a triggering device to whatever it is connected to, so mess around with those different midi settings and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:56 am 

Thanks for the help! I just had to send back the sp unfortunately. I'm waiting on a new one and will try all of these suggestions as soon as I get it!!

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:35 am 

unfortunate you got a bad sp, but as with all gear it happens, glad you're still willing to give them a try, i guarantee the 505 will not disappoint. it is one of the easiest samplers/sequencers to use.