It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 am

Post subject: Re: MIDI on the SP 505: A dark art
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:35 pm 

you gotta figure out which notes the sp 505 uses, like C4 C5. Then map your mpd to those notes. I did it with an mpd 16 and a sp 505 so im positive you should be able to do it. I ended up hooking them both up and had the mpd hooked up to the computer with the little editor it had. Then i started changing the first pad to like every note and hitting it till the 505 responded, then i just did it for all the pads. But once you find the right note for pad 1, the rest are usually in sequence. I couldnt get into detail as to how to set up the sp 505 for incoming midi and all that but the manual or someone else can fill you in. Trial and error, i guess. I was also a midi retard till i finally told myself i was going to do it and it was really just trial and error, fuck manuals. Hook it up and keep changing settings till something happens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:53 pm 

^ what he said.
Basically anything MIDI'd in should trigger it without any 505 settings necessary, as long as the note numbers are correct on the device.

Tricky part on the 505, is there are so many banks...so you will have to setup a bunch of MPD presets/scenes (dunno what they call em) to hit all the banks.
For example if you plugged an 88 key midi controller in, you still could not hit all the samples since its 16 pads times 32 banks = 512 different MIDI notes to trigger them (potentially)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 am 

oh yeah, i forgot about that. I had to go through the banks to figure it out too. Like a C5 note might be bank 7, pad 8 or something. Once you figure out the 505's notes in relation to the pads its an easy setup with your mpd. The hard part is figuring that out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56 pm 

right on man, i was rooting for you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:34 am 

question: can you record sequences with the mpd plugged into the 505, and also since the pads are velocity/pressure sensitive does this also translate to the 505 or is it just a basic trigger? cuz after reading this thread i now really want to try this setup, especially the triggering samples on two different banks at the same time trick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:19 pm 

i don't have a mpd yet, i was just curious about how it works with the 505. that's pretty cool that velocity/pressure can be done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:01 pm 

Codename Ape wrote:
This also means you can play samples from 2 different banks at once by using the mpd pads and the sp pads (Drums on mpd, samples on sp).
I now have what I've always wanted: User friendly sp interface with akai pads!

so this means that we can just hit pads from an external machine to one-shot (drum) samples on the 505? in other words: the 505 accept only drum/one-shot samples to be hitted?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:42 am 

the resampling bit doesn't bother me so much, but i'm still very intrigued that the 505 can accept velocity information. i'm just curious how the 505 deals with it, cuz this is a huge thing. also since sequences can be recorded using the mpd pads instead of the sp pads, i'm curious if the roll function on some of the mpds can also be accepted by the sp, cuz this would be another huge thing. when i had my mpc1000 i really liked using the drum roll button to enter in hihats with any given timing, it made things quicker, so if this can be done with the 505 then i'm in heaven.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:26 pm 

thanks ape, this opens up a whole new side to the 505 that i didn't know existed :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:02 am 

So, what about sp404?

I can't connect my mpd32 with sp404,
all settings how in manual, but it's no work(

may be somebody have success experience?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:44 pm 

Codename Ape wrote:
My MPD26 will only send MIDI via the DIN socket if you're powering it with an external PSU. If you're powering via USB it disables the MIDI DIN socket.
I know people on here have successfully done this with a 404 and pad kontrol/trigger finger, try checking the 404 tips and tricks section.

All matter in USB!
Thanks)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:26 pm 

strayfield wrote:
Yes, you can record sequences with the mpd pads but unfortunately it doesn't work with resample. This is a bitch 'cause that's how I like to make beats :( . Yes it translates pressure/velocity sensitivity as well.

Can you explain resample?? I'm lost... I thought resampling was simply applying effects or changing the bit rate and then resampling??

So then if you resampled already...you can just trigger everything from the mpd and play your sequence..

Obviously I am missing something here lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:45 pm 

Resampling means sampling the machine's internal sounds (the sounds in the pads); doing that you can apply effects or reduce bit rate for example (but it's not that you have to) so you have new samples with fx/new bit rate applied.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
Resampling means sampling the machine's internal sounds (the sounds in the pads); doing that you can apply effects or reduce bit rate for example (but it's not that you have to) so you have new samples with fx/new bit rate applied.

That's what I thought....so I'm not understanding why triggering the 505 from another controller would affect resampling? Wouldn't the sample be loaded into the 505's memory and processed before you trigger and sequence from an external source?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 pm 

Oh ok... I'm still struggling a little to wrap my head around it. lol

So resampling (in the sp world) means resampling the sound (applying fx, bitcrush, sample rate) but it's also a term used in the workflow?

So wait, I assume you are talking about building the track inside the SP's sequencer.

I'm going to be using my 505 as the sampler and fx unit..but I will be using FL Studio to sequence and the MPD to trigger....So I am assuming this issue wouldn't pertain to my workflow anyway.