It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:41 am

Post subject: Re: MIDI on the SP 505: A dark art
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 pm 

When you make a track using the resample method you don't use the sequencer. People use this method to get a more "live/swingy" feel to their tracks. There's a few YouTube videos that show people doing this on the 404 and 303.

You should be fine with your workflow. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:56 pm 

formal wrote:
When you make a track using the resample method you don't use the sequencer. People use this method to get a more "live/swingy" feel to their tracks. There's a few YouTube videos that show people doing this on the 404 and 303.

You should be fine with your workflow. Good luck!

I think I get you now....when you say "resample" method...it's loop recording with the grid off...basically like a live mode.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:22 pm 

Hey all.

Nice thread. I'm currently getting my head around using my SP-505 as a midi unit too. I'd like to be able to trigger samples on something like a Roland SPD-SX (or any drum pad really) from the 505 via midi. Is this possible?

Go slowly I'm just starting out here. I have all the samples I need loaded into the 505 but instead of hitting those little triggers with my fingers I'd love to be able to hit a drum pad to trigger them.

Possible? And if so what pad should I look for?

cheers
B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:03 pm 

Cool thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking for something to trigger the samples with a drum stick. So a pad or pads like the Roland SPD. Anyone know of any midi drum pads that can be triggered with drum sticks? Will any midi pad work with the 505?

cheers
B

strayfield wrote:
theflaminghips wrote:
Hey all.

Nice thread. I'm currently getting my head around using my SP-505 as a midi unit too. I'd like to be able to trigger samples on something like a Roland SPD-SX (or any drum pad really) from the 505 via midi. Is this possible?

Go slowly I'm just starting out here. I have all the samples I need loaded into the 505 but instead of hitting those little triggers with my fingers I'd love to be able to hit a drum pad to trigger them.

Possible? And if so what pad should I look for?

cheers
B

Whatever MIDI pad you get to trigger the 505 with, make sure it has 'program change'. This is what you need to mess with to be able to trigger the 505 via MIDI. Whichever bank you want to trigger on the 505, let's say for example bank 6. You need to use the program change at either one less or one more, so either 4 or 7 (I can't remember which and I don't have the 505 to hand)
I use an MPD26 to trigger my 505 and because you need a different program change for each bank (and the 505 has 32 banks) you can't save the settings for each bank as the MPD only has 4 pad banks. I just leave my MPD on program change and scroll through to whichever bank I want.
I hope this is of help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:10 pm 

Quote:
Alesis have quite a few and they're pretty reasonably priced.
http://www.alesis.com/percussion
If I remember rightly Fauna bought one not long ago. Any MIDI pad will work, as long as it's got a MIDI DIN socket and the ability to work with program change.

Great! Just what I wanted to know! Thanks for your help. So the 505 has a MIDI in and out. But the back of the Alesis PercPad only has MIDI out. So I'd only need a MIDI cable from the OUT of the Alesis PercPad and the IN of the 505 right?

cheers for all your help.
B