It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:08 pm

Post subject: Help troubleshooting audio out problem
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:41 pm 

Hey all, I need some help determining whether or not my rca/stereo outs are broken or not working the way they are supposed to. I took the 505 apart, but I honestly could not clearly see if the contact points need to be re-soldered. I guess I seriously need glasses......anyway.......I'm going to try to describe my problem and I'd like to know if this is typical of the 505 or if in fact it needs to be fixed. I will be going to a friends later this week who will prob be able to identify if the contacts are good/bad, but I'd like to ask here as well.

Basically, when I have the rca's hooked up to the outs and run them to my mixer, the entire track sounds right on. But, I noticed after I recorded in stereo to cubase le 4 that it seemed like the sound was panned to the right. In other words, all of the lows and bass seemed to sit heavy on the right side, and the left pan was all highs. I did not pan anything when I recorded.

I decided to just play/listen through my mixer and I noticed when I unplug the red rca, I hear only highs, and when I unplug the white, I only hear lows. It sounds ok when everything is plugged in together, but I feel like something is wrong. Because of this I had to re-record in mono and I feel like the track lost a bit of dynamics.

So my question is, is this a sign that the outs on my 505 are starting to fail? Could someone else here try doing what I did, i.e. play your 505/303 through a stereo channel and try to isolate the left/right stereo connections to see if you hear what I heard? Any help is appreciated, I really love this board, it's full of a lot of great info and a lot of cool people. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Help troubleshooting audio out problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

Check how yr samples are panned. The 505 does not pan against / across a 360, but rather centre, hard right and hard left. Check that first. Also are you just checking this thru the mixer, or thru the I/o into yr computer? How is it panning thru phones?

Welcome to the forum.

Edit: just re-read what you said about cubase. Try recording in w/ yr right and left channel panned hard in cubase and see if that helps.

post post post rock:
http://www.myspace.com/faunaflage | http://soundcloud.com/faunaflage

Post subject: Re: Help troubleshooting audio out problem
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:20 am 

Thanks so much for the response. I've been unable to really spend any quality time with my gear over the past several days but I will check the built in pan of the samples. I guess I should have added, the way I'm making music would probably not be considered "ideal" by most, but I'm achieving the sound I want so I'm happy. Basically, I sample, chop, sequence etc on my MPC 2500. I basically "mic on the mpc, and then sample my sequences into the 505 where I essentially really muddy them up, resample, apply effects, etc. Like I said, not what most would choose to do but it's how I like it. Plus, I have the ability to track out on my MPC when I really want to . That being said, everything coming from the MPC is panned, leveled, to taste and correctly before it hits the 505.

So logic would suggest that there is an issue in the 505. I will check the pan setting internal on the 505, but I'm pretty sure since I'm sampling a sequence from my MPC, which might have ten or twelve samples within it, that the pan settings in the 505 would be super obvious. I'll also add that when I listen to the 505 through my headphones, it sounds like I intended it to sound. It's only when I unplug one of the rca's from the out that I have this huge "imbalance". That's why I think there might be a problem with the outs since when I record to cubase, and put on my headphones it's bass heavy in my right ear. I'm also assuming I didn't notice this through my monitors because 1) I might have the volumes un balanced and/or 2) I currently have a less than ideal set up because of lack of space in my new apartment.

Either way, I plan on messing around with it some more this weekend to see if I can nail down the issue. I also want to mention that I did pick up a new set of rca to dual mono 1/4 inch cables a couple of days ago because I thought maybe my old pair shit the bed, but no such luck.

Thanks again for the input, it is appreciated. :D