It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

Post subject: Re: 505 on the way, share some tips / advice / stuff to try
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:25 pm 

fauna wrote:
that's a solid tip from chicagosp - micro gets overlooked a lot and it can save yr ass!

springwater, are you turning off the quantize? like after you hit record, that lil highlighted area in the countdown? i didn't even know where it was for the longest time, and now i just keep it off. everything gels better.

I almost never use the micro, I think it's easiest for me just do the recording again (in case I couldn't accomplished on first try) also I almost use quantize on, 1/8 or 1/16th depending which instrument I'm recording and then for those "hard to get" I turn off quantize and then do my shit... past week I made a beat with all my drums without quantize, it took me several tries but it sounds good now... it has that "real" feeling it reminds me old RZA style...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:19 pm 

fauna wrote:
that's a solid tip from chicagosp - micro gets overlooked a lot and it can save yr ass!

springwater, are you turning off the quantize? like after you hit record, that lil highlighted area in the countdown? i didn't even know where it was for the longest time, and now i just keep it off. everything gels better.

ya man, i see it up there in the corner. all shy and symboled. Honestly, i dont even know what those dam symbols mean, use numbers for christ sake. 1/8, 1/4, 32 whatever. But ive tested each one and got an idea of what it was.
Still need to rock that micro edit. Just been sampling like crazy, filling up zip disk for my 808. im gonna take a vacation from myself like "what about bob". Might actually make some music finally.
life is like ONE BIG TITTYBALL, it never stops moving, like fuckin jello.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:46 pm 

springwater wrote:
life is like ONE BIG TITTYBALL, it never stops moving, like fuckin jello.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:59 pm 

Goddamn amazon seller not responding to emails, this is the 2nd 505 i've ordered that did not come through....now i'm dealing with cust. service on amazon, after waiting 8 days with no reply ... anyway, wanted to rant.

Still getting one even if this falls through

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:13 pm 

if you live near pittsburgh ill sell you mine. Be happier if someone got some use out of it. Its just sitting here all lonely and depressed, talkin shit once in a while. Im a smack his resampling ass up if he dont chill so id be happy to sell his ass.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:56 pm 

blavatsky wrote:
Goddamn amazon seller not responding to emails, this is the 2nd 505 i've ordered that did not come through....now i'm dealing with cust. service on amazon, after waiting 8 days with no reply ... anyway, wanted to rant.

Still getting one even if this falls through

How much they going for on amazon?
I paid $180 for mine on craigslist...
But I need another one my rca's are loosing connection and my screen is all scuffed up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:59 pm 

locotesmjr wrote:
fauna wrote:

I almost never use the micro, I think it's easiest for me just do the recording again (in case I couldn't accomplished on first try) also I almost use quantize on, 1/8 or 1/16th depending which instrument I'm recording and then for those "hard to get" I turn off quantize and then do my shit... past week I made a beat with all my drums without quantize, it took me several tries but it sounds good now... it has that "real" feeling it reminds me old RZA style...

I wanna hear some of these beats...not to many people on here with the 505...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:17 am 

ChicagoSPecial wrote:
How much they going for on amazon?
I paid $180 for mine on craigslist...
But I need another one my rca's are loosing connection and my screen is all scuffed up.

I bought mine for $65 w/128MB SM card on Ebay and I fixed it myself, I posted a tutorial in here some months ago with all the process and pictures.
Link below:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9294

ChicagoSPecial wrote:
I wanna hear some of these beats...not to many people on here with the 505...

I'm not planing to release any of this until they are 100% finished, I'm producing 3 EPs for 3 different MCs (1 Peruvian and 2 from Spain) this project is going to be called "Low Budget/Lo-Fi Series" and most probably are going to be just 5 to 6 tracks, I'm sending those beats to the MCs and then they select their favorites, at this point I have already 25 beats, some tracks are being recording and I have a couple done already but waiting for the others to complete the volumes...
Anyways If you check my soundcloud I have a beat called "Sista" made entirely on 505 with some vinyl drums, a sample that it was in the sampler already when I copped, then I chopped it and play with it, bass line made on 505 also... nothing special just messing around when I was learning this beauty.
Peace.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:52 pm 

Yeah they are going for around $200 on amazon, a little high maybe but very cheap compared to other samplers..... I broke down and just bought another one - this will be the third attempt! - so I may end up with 2 and have to sell one or try to cancel it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:41 pm 

On Amazon, once the order is processed you can't cancel it, unless you personally email the seller and work something out. Gotta give some orders at least 21 days before making a claim.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:08 pm 

Ive ordered so much stuff from amazon and never had a problem, has to be the seller. sucks tho. Waiting for beat making equipment is the worst. Your reading about it online, watching vids, talking about it, obsessing over it, then...DING. FED EX IS AT YOUR DOOR AND YOUR NOT HOME.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 pm 

Got my minty almost new 505 in the mail, already loading up samples , testing out effects, about to fill it up with vinyl straight from the turntable. Excited, definitely seems to have a different tone/timbre than the SP555 in a good warm way.

Couple questions:
- So the vinyl compression is great, as is the regular compression...it seems to work better on loops rather than single hits, is that pretty much the norm?
(ie, drum loop is great, on single hits its good but not outstanding).

Do you resample with one compression, then do the other effect and resample again ?

-Easy way to delete a track in a pattern? (other than holding delete and each note, or deleting in micro edit...)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:35 pm 

"Couple questions:
- So the vinyl compression is great, as is the regular compression...it seems to work better on loops rather than single hits, is that pretty much the norm?
(ie, drum loop is great, on single hits its good but not outstanding).

Do you resample with one compression, then do the other effect and resample again ?"

Compression works best for me when added at the end of a mix/beat..like I would add tape echo to drums and reverb to sample then use compressor it all....then maybe a a bit of chorus and finally vinyl sim tuned to preference.

"-Easy way to delete a track in a pattern? (other than holding delete and each note, or deleting in micro edit...)"

Micro is easy enough to erase things for me...

Glad to see u got ur 505....can't wait to hear what you got!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm 

Thanks , I will try in that order that makes sense.

I like your music Chicago Special, some real nice samples and tasty drums...definitely looking forward to doing some all or mostly 505 tracks, maybe at the end run it into the 555 and chop /effect it even more....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:03 pm 

blavatsky wrote:
Thanks , I will try in that order that makes sense.

I like your music Chicago Special, some real nice samples and tasty drums...definitely looking forward to doing some all or mostly 505 tracks, maybe at the end run it into the 555 and chop /effect it even more....

Dude your beats in the arena are killing it!

Let me know if you want a friend to collab with ...started this group Sp Underground Duo with two 505s...made a few beats and now my newest 505's efx knob is busted....kinda killed that idea....