It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: did anyone get the OP-1 from Teenage Engineering?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:54 pm 

IIIII wrote:
can't wait to cop one of these from a goodwill in 3 years :o

Yo FIVE-I, so how is it? I assume you got it by now? :D

but seriously, anyone's having any success with this little guy on the board?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:26 am 

I used one for year or so. I know there are a few other cats on here that use it also.

My experience with it was that it was a lot of fun to use. The FX and synths on them were cool and they are still updating and adding features. I mainly used it for the synth sounds, fx, and i used it to chop my drum breaks and play them. Chopping drums on them were real easy and quick. Saved me time and pad space on my 303.

I haven't had one for almost a year now.
I sold it mainly cause I needed money and secondly I'd rather use my vst's and other gear to do the stuff that I was doing on the OP-1. The small number of keys were real limiting for me and I didn't feel like using it's built-in sequencer. I used it as if it was an instrument.

Anyways, if you're thinking about getting one and you can, you should def check it out. It's fun to use and you can get real experimental with it. The quality is top notch too.
Other than that, you can basically do all that shit on your computer.

some stuff i made with just the op-1 and sp303

https://soundcloud.com/ong/oneofthemdays
https://soundcloud.com/ong/andforwardiwillgo

hope that helps
pce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:33 pm 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

I owned one. They are fun gadgets and perfect for making music while travelling because it's so small. I'd use it on the plane, on the bus, etc. My only complaint about it was that it seemed so much stuff that's standard on other gear (normal filter for instance) was conspicuously absent when I had mine. Just before I sold it, they finally got a regular multimode filter, but it took almost a year...

Other than that, the funnest thing about the OP1 is using the tape for resampling and lifting back into the sampler and record when you record your live performance. THe machine is capable of doing big sounds, it just takes about 5 times longer and 5 times the work to get to those big sounds on the OP1 compared to just about any other gear.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:59 pm 

I think the OP is probably the only piece of gear that I plan to buy back. Sold it to get a few things for my location-recording rig and I've missed it ever since.

It can do (alllllmost) everything just not in a "regular" way. The four-knob layout is perfect for sound design and being able to see how each parameter is affecting the others... too cool. The screen is vibrant and never hurt my eyes, even after looking at it for waaaaaay to fucking long. The tape is pretty rad too, being able to use it as a four-track pocket-DAW was quite possibly one of the most legit features about the whole thing.

The two different samplers (synth & drum) are simple to manipulate and they each do their jobs exactly as they should. Bouncing around can be a chore at first but when you start getting a flow down you can breeze through it.

I think the OP-1 makes it easy for anyone to get into making stuff, the way you interface with it is not frightening. Sit that same anyone down in front of a Monomachine and they will probably cry. Shiiiiiit... thing makes me cry still after years.

My ultimate 'backpack studio' is an OP-1, SP404, an SM-57, a wooden Little Blondie and the Zoom H6.

Quite fond of the lil' fokker.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:05 am 

medearis wrote:
My ultimate 'backpack studio' is an OP-1, SP404, an SM-57, a wooden Little Blondie and the Zoom H6.

This.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:59 pm 

l i f wrote:
medearis wrote:

This.

Oh, damn. I hate getting expensive ideas. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:51 pm 

Okay, okay, fine. Zoom H2 then. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:38 pm 

medearis wrote:
Okay, okay, fine. Zoom H2 then. :lol:

Yeah, I've got one of those. So, I could probably have a pretty good backpack-studio. Although, macbook+soundcard+oxygen midikeyboard is a bit more to carry than the slim Op-1.

So, the OP-1. I'm curious about it. For some time my idea has been to really get a good grasp of synthesis and get some synth with knobs for everything. Just to get a solid understanding of filters, ADSR-envelopes, LFO-waves, white noise, arpeggiators, midi - well the whole lot!

So, I had set my eyes on the Roland Aira System 1. It seems pretty perfect, except too new to easily find one used.

Reading up on the OP-1, I got hesitant. The true value of a piece of machinery might actually be in the amount of music getting made, rather than all it can do in theory. And the OP-1 really seems like a lot of fun, right?

Ah, well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:30 am 

The OP is all fun (besides bouncing between tape/vinyl, but that is what it is). If you are trying to get a good grasp on synthesis then I'd with something other. You wouldn't shortchange your self with the OP but you will be doing things it's way... four knobs.
I dunno - it is simple, if not narrow some times but you get a lot of potential in such a tiny space.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:40 am 

Right, one day when I'm not by my senses I'll buy both.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:13 pm 

Proper answer right there :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 pm 

I don't know about the OP-1 but the new Electribe is pretty rad!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:31 pm 

Pretty excited about the new ones even though I've not liked any of the 'Tribe family up until this point. I'm still waiting for more info on the sampler me self.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:53 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

medearis wrote:
Pretty excited about the new ones even though I've not liked any of the 'Tribe family up until this point. I'm still waiting for more info on the sampler me self.

I'm disappointed by the memory specs on the new electribe sampler...everything else looks good, the real pads are a welcome addition (along with basically sticking in a miniKP into it as well), but most of the stuff added could've been done with an OS update on the old machine, sadly. It seems like it's feature set for that price should've been released in 2010, not 2015.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:22 pm 

Dang... well, I'll keep my hopes up for the time being. If I end up not getting the sampler then I think the synth would be bad ass. Always looking for gear that is both legit in-studio and just as legit in a park some where.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next