It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

Post subject: Re: did anyone get the OP-1 from Teenage Engineering?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:05 pm 

thanks man!
i guess somebody mentioned it already but i still hate the pops and clicks the op-1 makes when you loop stuff in the tape machine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:05 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

squ!L wrote:
thanks man!
i guess somebody mentioned it already but i still hate the pops and clicks the op-1 makes when you loop stuff in the tape machine.

All my OP1 tracks were plagued with pops from samples. I guess it's a signature of the unit in some way, but what a shitty one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 pm 

what i dont understand is why they make it look like a toy. It looks like some cheap 10 dollar midi controller for ipad or something. Then when i watch it in action in videos it looks really awesome, i was so surprised, it seems like a beast.
why would they take a powerfull tool and make it look like a weak toy?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:16 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

Is the color scheme making it look cheap?

It actually feels really heavy for how it looks. It's like a huge slab of metal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:50 am 

I sorta regret selling mine. It was really great for sketch pad work.
Actually, the pops weren't a big problem for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:23 am 

gauz wrote:
why would they take a powerfull tool and make it look like a weak toy?
This argument's missing the point & been done before, man. TE made a device to PLAY with. You might play a guitar now, you might haved played with matchbox cars back in the day. The OP-1 works on both levels.

If it makes any difference, TE went & released a delay/chorus/noise effect for the OP-1 where the visual's a freakin' COW'S GUTS.

It's great to get a synth/sampler/FX unit that doesn't take itself seriously, if only more companies would do that. It's subjective, either you get it or you don't. :|. HS is right, it's built really solid & feels nothing like a toy. It also pops a bit with the sample end point, but that's not hard to work around (just use your SP mentality).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:07 am 

I could be interested in it but some people said it's not resistant (broken keys... and apparently not replaceable) and it does some pops and clicks.
How are the fx (quality, plastic kind sounds ?)?
Are there any regular users here ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 am 

L0WC0$T_ wrote:
I could be interested in it but some people said it's not resistant (broken keys... and apparently not replaceable) and it does some pops and clicks.
How are the fx (quality, plastic kind sounds ?)?
Are there any regular users here ?

I used to own one for 2 years and made lots of music with it. The sampler was great for chopping drums and what not.

I didn't keep it mainly due to noise and ground loop issues if I needed to record it while plugged in to power. I also felt that it was redundant for the most part and I needed money for rent. I do feel that there are sounds that you can make that are unique to the OP-1 due to the process and how they designed the fx and instruments.

If you have a chance to try one first, I'd do that as it can be a polarizing piece to some people. It's a fun machine and great paired with another sampler like an sp303.

I think the prices are pretty stable too for used. So if you end up hating it you'll get most of your cash back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:34 am 

It looks dope. The 808 has a linear 8-track recorder that I love. I just recently realized that the op-1 has a similar recording function. Anyone care to ramble about how it works? Or I could read up... not trying to b needy. 8)

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:56 am 

:lol: :lol:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:39 am 

You can buy all the parts for it. https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Teenage_Engineering_OP-1

I've owned one for 3.5 years and never had any issues with pops and clicks or noise while using it plugged in, but I've read that a few users have had issues. TE recommends only charging it with a 5 volt computer USB port. I charged it once with a phone charger and the battery indicator LEDs weren't displaying correctly. After draining the battery all the way and charging it completely, while turned off by a computer USB port, it fixed itself.

The effects are 24-bit stereo, they sound great, but there are only 7 of them. The CWO (Cow in the picture above) is pretty weird and the phone (kinda like ring modulation + bit crusher) is weird also. There's actually a 8th effect, another filter, that is hidden in the current firmware that you can unlock by copying a patch via computer.

The tape recorder is the best feature imo. You get 4 mono tracks at 6 minutes. You can change the speed it records and plays at by ratio or percentage. Slow it down and you can get 24 minutes of recording time or lock it in by bpm and it will give you 1 bar indicators on the screen. You can hand crank one knob to work the tape speed by hand while it's recording or for playback. It even records backwards. You can cut and splice pieces together, nudge them along the timeline, lift and drop (cut and paste) them around. You can lift all 4 tracks at once and bounce them to one or individually. Lift a part and drop it into a sampler to resample or vice versa. You can record the input straight to tape or record the synths, samplers, the various sequencers, or the AM/FM radio to tape. You can record your mixdown from the master to album mode which is has a A and B side, 6 minutes each and record it back to tape for endless resampling. There are loop markers you can adjust on the fly and move around, lock them in time or have them off time. There are 2 memo slots (buttons) you can assign the effects to, like 'grab effect' on a SP, punch effects in and out on the fly. Then there's a few tape tricks buttons for stutter effects, reversing, braking (like a turntable brake) for some live manipulation. The arrow keys scrub quickly threw the tape position. There's only a high, mid, low EQ on the master, so you have to bounce audio back on to tape to individually EQ tracks or use the filter (adjustable hp, lp, bp with envelope). Tape can be used for sound design, resampling, or tracking. You can also set the OP-1 to record it's output, using it like 'ext source' on a SP. Play a synth or drums while it's recording from the input all to one track. Recording over previously recorded material just overdubs, you actually have to lift a section of the tape to delete it or you can delete all 4 tracks at once. Tape mode is powerful once you wrap your head around all the different ways you can work with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:08 pm 

I got one almost a year ago now. Haven't used it too much but its really dope apart from the fact that it looks so gay.

Mostly I used it to sample my Juno6 and some Ensoniq synths. It does really cool microsampler style sampling. The tape mode is cool with dope pitch shifting. Effects are mental.

Its the only piece I ever bought NEW from a store and will definitely lose money on it. But I can't imagine selling it, it is dope for on the airplane or in the car or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:12 pm 

KIYANI wrote:
Its the only piece I ever bought NEW from a store and will definitely lose money on it. But I can't imagine selling it, it is dope for on the airplane or in the car or whatever.

They sell used for more then new at times, it’s crazy.

There new smaller OP-Z looks to be dropping this fall.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 pm 

dookie wrote:
peep this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpIVf1dXrbU

I want to get another one sooo bad now lol. I wish i never sold mine. I bought it new too hahaha.

o well, taxes fucked us up this year :(

maybe when they make an op-2

Wooooooooowwwwww. All that and it samples it's own radio tuner. Insane! Thx for sharing that!

Yes. This is what I need... must have the OP-1...

:mrgreen:

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 pm 

Kegeratorz wrote:
KIYANI wrote:

They sell used for more then new at times, it’s crazy.

There new smaller OP-Z looks to be dropping this fall.

The OP-Z sounds like a game changer. I hope the buttons aren't too small!

SOUNDCLOUD