It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:36 pm

Post subject: 404 / 555
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 pm 

I'm currently looking for a sampler I can use to build up sounds from both pre-recorded samples and ones create more on-the-fly, as it were. From what I understand, neither the 404 nor that 555 are exactly ideal for this, as neither really allows you to record and include a sample while others are playing. Am I right in thinking this? There's quite a bit of conflicting information floating about the interwebs, but this seems to be the conclusion most people provide.

Also, just how useful are the extra features of the 555? Are the USB connection and so on a particular boon, or would I be better off just getting a 404 and investing in a decent, separate loop pedal to go with it? The 555 loop seems fairly limited, as it's not really the main point of the unit.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:23 pm 

Bah, I'm sure this should be in the Production Techniques section, my bad. If someone wants to move it, that'd be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:32 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

on the 404, you cannot record something into the box while another sample is playing, unless you want both sounds recorded. so you can't record a bassline yr playing live over a sample, unless you want both these things recorded to the same pad.

i am not totally clear on the 555, but i think you can separate the recordings, but not in seamless, continuous playback. which is what you are asking, i think.

i have a loop pedal, but have yet to use it w/ the 404. howevs, i used to use it w/ the 202, with results that were sometimes cool.

and sometimes not.

hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:20 am 

good to know, thanks.

seeing as this seems as good a place to ask as any - any recommendations for loop pedals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:13 am 

why buy a looper when the 555 has one?

it works like this:
you have a footpedal. press once it start rock the pads or play something in the audio in, press the footpedal again and it loops.. now you can overdub as mutch as you want.. the only time it will pause is if you want to save the loop to a pad...

http://kristofferlislegaard.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:12 pm 

I would definitely say the 555 is what you are looking for. It can sample while your sequence plays via the loop capture up to 15 seconds at a time. I just bought one yesterday and Ive had the 404 for a minute. Its a pretty significant improvement. They kept the basic functionality of the 404 (which I love) and added alot of little things to take it to another level.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:53 pm 

Thanks a lot for the advice here.

Frantic - based on your post here and others elsewhere about the 555, I think that's the one I'll be after. Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:00 am 
Awesome Member

one thing to bear in mind is i don't think the 555 can sample a loop and play it back without interruption (mike?). that's why i'm kind of leaning toward the 404 + rc20 loop pedal combo. more useful live. one thing i love about the 404 is the battery powered option, so you con jump on the train, head for the hills, whatever with no worries. you lose that on the 555.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:36 am 

iG9 wrote:
one thing to bear in mind is i don't think the 555 can sample a loop and play it back without interruption (mike?). that's why i'm kind of leaning toward the 404 + rc20 loop pedal combo. more useful live. one thing i love about the 404 is the battery powered option, so you con jump on the train, head for the hills, whatever with no worries. you lose that on the 555.

Nah, you can record a loop and continue to overdub over your sequences without stopping. It only stops if you delete or save the loop to a pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:39 am 

out of curiosity, how useful is the ability to save a loop to a pad? does it save much time compared to recording it in on a 404?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:52 am 

It has to be pretty useful - the one thing I wish the 606 had was this ability. It would save at least 10 minutes when you want to turn a new loop/sequence into a sample. On the 606/404 you have to record the loop on another device and re-import it back onto the machine.

p a i n i n t h e a r s e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:24 am 

its crazy usefull. I dont know about saving time... I guess it does. But the main thing im using it for adding loops and scratches to the sequence I already got runing...ya I guess it actually saves alot of time because I basically get a sample and some drums and sequence it and then sit at the tables looking for other loops to go with it. The loop capture makes this way of working real easy and fast. I am not super impressed with it tho. That .03 second delay is slightly annoying. I get around it easily enough. I just record on free and skip the first bar than chop it off later. But, aside from that I love this feature !!! Its really cool live. I used it on saturday night and built up a 4 bar loop of all scratches. it was dope !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:39 am 
Awesome Member

hey frantic how's about a full review when you get acclimated?