It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 pm

Post subject: Rant Time
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:10 pm 

*inserts 2-cent coin into the slot*

So what's the deal with all this indie-pop-electro-whatever? :roll:

JUSTICE, mstrkrft, etc..

I've seen perfectly sensible people (not normally swayed by pop fashion and such) give in to this trashy crap and embrace it wholeheartedly...

am I missing something? Is it too much to ask that music (and society for that matter) progress rather than regress? :shock:

[/rant]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:51 pm 

I hear you man. Its like Qwel said: "Aint seen a monkey turn to man but ive seen a man turn to monkey"

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:35 pm 

it's music buddy, not everyone is going to love what you love....

people feel what they want to feel....

i dont think they're on the misguided, i listen to such and such and if you dont listen you're a fool....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:15 am 

im not saying its just that i dont like it,
its just that it kind of uses the most simplistic hooks and sounds, I thought people were perhaps more inventive and interested in pushng the boundaries, but it seems i am wrong , and shameless hedonism rules again.. thats the bit that gts me.. its a repeating cycle in every generation and it's not going anywhere, its just the same basic forms rebranded to suit the current fashions

people can like what they want, but the fact that they do go for this stuff makes me feel like society is not progressing, lured by the simple chemical pleasures. whether this is good or bad nobody knows, im just stating my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:26 am 

It's part of the 'nu-rave' movement. I don't like it either, but I take it as a sign of my age :lol:

There are some worrying trends though - trends that have already drawn social comment - have you seen the movie 'Idiocracy'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:28 am 

ok, this just goes to show there is really not bad publicity. i had heard justice before but now i know who they are(gotta love youtube).

since the title is rant, here's mine...
lately hip hop(mainstream) blows. i feel like throwin my new TI cd in the trash, or the new roots cd 4 that matter was a dissapointment. i love hip hop. it's not all bad right now, but mostly. i also love breaks, techno, jazz, blues, rock, latin, etc... i like stuff with heart and soul. it seems hip hop is comparable to backstreet boys these days. really, look at mtv; everybody is hiphopinen(u like that word, doncha). El-P or snoop, Lucero or U2, (i.e. mainstream or not) matters little to me but with dance or hip hop; what really matters is if u can "do the D.A.N.C.E." to the music.

ok that was 3 cents,iou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:38 am 

all right i made a new post cuz i want to also talk about riffs. what is wrong with repitition. when i sing to my baby, i do this. u know one hook over and over. she loves it, but if i change-up a lot, well look at the crying baby. i think this shows the simplicity of tastes among humans, we all want the same thing right(more or less). musician like u guys would be bored to your trained ears, however a drunk guy at the club won't care as long it's easy to follow. u see where i'm headin...
listen all varieties of music play to one form of reps or another. i hate arguing with rock purists, for instance, who say dance and hiphop aren't real music cuz they always act like rock is so friggin(lobo) creative but if u take away repitition u just have sounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:14 am 

^ repetition has its purpose, no doubt,

what im kind of getting at is..

music is basically very similar to drugs.. you can use drugs/music to get 'high' and party. .. OR you can use them/it to explore sound, or subject matter, or a certain headspace, express yourself, communicate ideas - whether these are musical ideas or lyrical. Create change, share thoughts, etc

all this stuff,is just the 'lets get high and party' stuff. sure its fun to do every now and then, but i dont see any of the other applications of music in this particular style/scene to balance the party stuff.

now you might say whats wrong with partyin all the time.. id have no problem with that if it were sustainable, and if we lived in a world without issues, unanswered questions, etc.

Its funny that they call it new rave,
cos I look back at my raving days and yeah it was awesome fun but it doesn't last forever, we all know that, and theyre doing exactly the same thing over again. . I just want to see society break the cycle and advance beyond a way of life that isnt going to work for more than maybe 5-10 years (until the next generation comes up with their version of it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:05 am 

party all the time by eddie murphy is good music, i had the cd.yeah. funny, i didn't really know the rave scene had come back(ah the good ol days). but yeah u r right bout all that except i disagree on one point. i see an article today about 380,000 year old footprints that will soon be open to the public, so i think yeah we really haven't come that far. this leads me to my point. people need to discover things for themselves. its like an unwritten law that most things/fads in humanity(like fashion) reoccur again and again. so if the kids want to try the stuff WE tried; well personally i'm honored. and i guess i just like that song DANCE, but whatever.
on another note, it's really great to be part of a forum where people can say what they feel and not get flamed for it. peace cartesia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:23 am 

Quote:
on another note, it's really great to be part of a forum where people can say what they feel and not get flamed for it. peace cartesia.

amen!

always good to hear others views on things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:17 pm 

The majority fears change, the minority seeks it. Welcome to the minority my friend.